USU football: Former player Bojay Filimoeatu signs free agent contract with Oakland Raiders
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Former Utah State linebacker Bojay Filimoeatu signed a free agent contract with the Oakland Raiders. Filimoeatu spent the past year recovering from a knee injury sustained in practice during the week of the Casino Del Sol College All-Star Game in January of 2013.
Filimoeatu, a 6-foot-1, 258-pounder from West Valley City, Utah (Granger High School/Mt. San Antonio JC), started all 13 games as a senior in 2012 and finished the year ranking sixth on the team with 71 tackles, which included 9.0 tackles for loss to rank second on the team, while his 5.0 sacks tied for third. Overall, Filimoeatu ranked tied for ninth in the Western Athletic Conference with 0.69 tackles for loss per game. He also registered a team-best 11 quarterback hurries to go along with two pass breakups, one forced fumble and one interception that he returned 48 yards against Idaho.
During his senior season, Filimoeatu recorded double-digit tackles twice as he had a career-high 12 stops against Utah and 11 tackles against Toledo in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.
Filimoeatu started all 26 games during his two-year Utah State career and recorded 112 total tackles (48-solo, 64-assist), which included 20.0 tackles for loss and 8.0 sacks. He also recorded two pass breakups, forced two fumbles, recovered one fumble and intercepted one pass.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49