CBS Sports report: Mountain West to evaluate scheduling football games with BYU
Matt Gade, Deseret News
In recent weeks, college football power conferences SEC and ACC have announced they would not consider BYU a non-league "Power 5" opponent.
Now, the Mountain West will evaluate its philosophy in scheduling the former conference member, CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd reported Monday. League officials from the MW discussed BYU during meetings in Phoenix from May 5-7, according to one of Dodd's sources.
“We talked — in context of the SEC and ACC conversations — what does it mean to schedule BYU? We really have to think about our scheduling,” Thompson told Dodd.
A source also told Dodd that there was an "informal mention" of the Cougars, who were members of the Mountain West from 1999-2010, rejoining the conference.
At issue is whether independent BYU should be considered a strong enough team, from a strength of schedule standpoint, for other teams to count them as a non-conference Power 5 opponent as the sport heads into the new College Football Playoff era.
“We're playing them more out of history, geography and convenience than schedule strength,” Thompson said of BYU, according to Dodd. “Now that will bite me in the [backside] but you know what I'm saying. We have a history with them.”
Over the next five seasons, BYU has 19 games currently scheduled against teams from the Mountain West, according to fbschedules.com. That includes a yearly matchup with both Utah State and Boise State, four games with MW teams this season and five in both 2015 and 2017.
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Jazz forward Trevor Booker assists Utah...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 45
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 33
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30