CBS Sports report: Mountain West to evaluate scheduling football games with BYU
Matt Gade, Deseret News
In recent weeks, college football power conferences SEC and ACC have announced they would not consider BYU a non-league "Power 5" opponent.
Now, the Mountain West will evaluate its philosophy in scheduling the former conference member, CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd reported Monday. League officials from the MW discussed BYU during meetings in Phoenix from May 5-7, according to one of Dodd's sources.
“We talked — in context of the SEC and ACC conversations — what does it mean to schedule BYU? We really have to think about our scheduling,” Thompson told Dodd.
A source also told Dodd that there was an "informal mention" of the Cougars, who were members of the Mountain West from 1999-2010, rejoining the conference.
At issue is whether independent BYU should be considered a strong enough team, from a strength of schedule standpoint, for other teams to count them as a non-conference Power 5 opponent as the sport heads into the new College Football Playoff era.
“We're playing them more out of history, geography and convenience than schedule strength,” Thompson said of BYU, according to Dodd. “Now that will bite me in the [backside] but you know what I'm saying. We have a history with them.”
Over the next five seasons, BYU has 19 games currently scheduled against teams from the Mountain West, according to fbschedules.com. That includes a yearly matchup with both Utah State and Boise State, four games with MW teams this season and five in both 2015 and 2017.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48