CBS Sports report: Mountain West to evaluate scheduling football games with BYU
Matt Gade, Deseret News
In recent weeks, college football power conferences SEC and ACC have announced they would not consider BYU a non-league "Power 5" opponent.
Now, the Mountain West will evaluate its philosophy in scheduling the former conference member, CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd reported Monday. League officials from the MW discussed BYU during meetings in Phoenix from May 5-7, according to one of Dodd's sources.
“We talked — in context of the SEC and ACC conversations — what does it mean to schedule BYU? We really have to think about our scheduling,” Thompson told Dodd.
A source also told Dodd that there was an "informal mention" of the Cougars, who were members of the Mountain West from 1999-2010, rejoining the conference.
At issue is whether independent BYU should be considered a strong enough team, from a strength of schedule standpoint, for other teams to count them as a non-conference Power 5 opponent as the sport heads into the new College Football Playoff era.
“We're playing them more out of history, geography and convenience than schedule strength,” Thompson said of BYU, according to Dodd. “Now that will bite me in the [backside] but you know what I'm saying. We have a history with them.”
Over the next five seasons, BYU has 19 games currently scheduled against teams from the Mountain West, according to fbschedules.com. That includes a yearly matchup with both Utah State and Boise State, four games with MW teams this season and five in both 2015 and 2017.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 81
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 66
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22