CBS Sports report: Mountain West to evaluate scheduling football games with BYU
Matt Gade, Deseret News
In recent weeks, college football power conferences SEC and ACC have announced they would not consider BYU a non-league "Power 5" opponent.
Now, the Mountain West will evaluate its philosophy in scheduling the former conference member, CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd reported Monday. League officials from the MW discussed BYU during meetings in Phoenix from May 5-7, according to one of Dodd's sources.
“We talked — in context of the SEC and ACC conversations — what does it mean to schedule BYU? We really have to think about our scheduling,” Thompson told Dodd.
A source also told Dodd that there was an "informal mention" of the Cougars, who were members of the Mountain West from 1999-2010, rejoining the conference.
At issue is whether independent BYU should be considered a strong enough team, from a strength of schedule standpoint, for other teams to count them as a non-conference Power 5 opponent as the sport heads into the new College Football Playoff era.
“We're playing them more out of history, geography and convenience than schedule strength,” Thompson said of BYU, according to Dodd. “Now that will bite me in the [backside] but you know what I'm saying. We have a history with them.”
Over the next five seasons, BYU has 19 games currently scheduled against teams from the Mountain West, according to fbschedules.com. That includes a yearly matchup with both Utah State and Boise State, four games with MW teams this season and five in both 2015 and 2017.
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- How about a Utah-BYU matchup in NCAA tournament?
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 102
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 76
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 27