Judge orders Josh Powell life insurance money be split 50-50
"This was a trust that was established by Josh and Susan years ago. And the idea was that essentially, if the parents were dead and the boys were dead, then the two families would split whatever the proceeds were. What he has done effectively has removed the Powell family from receiving any of those proceeds by his actions. And we're saying that action is inappropriate and violates a number of laws and fiduciary. "Mr. Cox at this has taken an unfair advantage, in our estimation, of his position as conservator and changed the trust so the Powells get nothing," West said.
"The Coxes, or their attorney, have taken certain liberties in lumping the Powell family into some of the awful things that have happened to the family, and there are some innocent people on both sides. These proceeds are generated by the deaths, according to Teri, of her son, her daughter-in-law that she loved very much and her two grandchildren. To say that she somehow is not worthy is a bit of a stretch and we think it's just greed on the part of the Coxes," he said.
"It's not that they didn't lose someone they loved. Clearly they did. But they weren't the only ones."
West believes there is a chance that whatever decision is made in Utah on the Susan Powell trust will be appealed no matter which way the judge rules.
Steven Powell, Josh Powell's father who was recently released from prison after serving 30 months for taking voyeuristic pictures of two neighbor girls, will not be receiving any of the life insurance money in question, he said.
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Salt Lake County lands on Top 10 list of...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 21
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 15
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 14