Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
HERRIMAN — A 19-year-old man drowned in Blackridge Reservoir on Sunday evening.
Joey Pantoja was trying to swim across the lake when he became distressed in the middle and went under the water about 6 p.m., according to Unified Police Department. A friend swimming with him was unable to save him.
People in the neighborhood heard the friend call for help and jumped into the reservoir at 15300 S. Ashland Ridge Dr. (5390 West) to try to rescue Pantoja.
Authorities estimate Pantoja was under water for about 40 minutes before a search-and-rescue team recovered his body.
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- Herriman man says his brain tumor felt like a...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 33
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 16
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9