Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
HERRIMAN — A 19-year-old man drowned in Blackridge Reservoir on Sunday evening.
Joey Pantoja was trying to swim across the lake when he became distressed in the middle and went under the water about 6 p.m., according to Unified Police Department. A friend swimming with him was unable to save him.
People in the neighborhood heard the friend call for help and jumped into the reservoir at 15300 S. Ashland Ridge Dr. (5390 West) to try to rescue Pantoja.
Authorities estimate Pantoja was under water for about 40 minutes before a search-and-rescue team recovered his body.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax
- Republican, Democratic political... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 18
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12