Local golfers Mike Weir, Tony Finau and Zac Blair fare well in PGA golf tournaments
Tony Gutierrez, AP
Led by Mike Weir’s surprising second-place finish at the Byron Nelson Classic near Dallas, local golfers played well in PGA Tour-sponsored events that ended Sunday.
Sandy’s Weir, who has been plagued by injuries in recent years, had his first top 10 finish on the PGA Tour in four years as he ended up two shots behind Brendon Todd Sunday afternoon. The former BYU star earned $745,200 for his runner-up finish.
Weir’s last top 10 finish came in January 2010 at the Bob Hope Classic where he finished sixth. Since then, he has only made the cut in 27 of 84 tournaments. His Sunday finish was his best since a second-place finish at the 2009 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am.
Salt Lake’s Tony Finau, who is playing his first year on the Web.com Tour, had his second-best finish of the season at the BMW Charity tournament at Greer, South Carolina. Finau shot a final-round 67 to move up to a tie for 18th place at 273, earning $8,476. It marked the fifth straight tournament that Finau has made the cut, and he improved to 38th on the money list.
Ogden’s Zac Blair had his best finish of the year on the PGA’s Latino America NEC Series Tour by finishing fifth at the Dominican Republic Open. The former BYU golfer finished 8-under-par 280, four shots behind the winner. Going into the tournament, Blair had made five of six cuts on the tour and had now moved up to 16th on the money list.
Todd, who pocketed $1.2 million for his first PGA Tour victory, also has a local connection in that he won the Nationwide Tour Utah Classic tournament in 2008.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 24
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22