Local golfers Mike Weir, Tony Finau and Zac Blair fare well in PGA golf tournaments
Tony Gutierrez, AP
Led by Mike Weir’s surprising second-place finish at the Byron Nelson Classic near Dallas, local golfers played well in PGA Tour-sponsored events that ended Sunday.
Sandy’s Weir, who has been plagued by injuries in recent years, had his first top 10 finish on the PGA Tour in four years as he ended up two shots behind Brendon Todd Sunday afternoon. The former BYU star earned $745,200 for his runner-up finish.
Weir’s last top 10 finish came in January 2010 at the Bob Hope Classic where he finished sixth. Since then, he has only made the cut in 27 of 84 tournaments. His Sunday finish was his best since a second-place finish at the 2009 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am.
Salt Lake’s Tony Finau, who is playing his first year on the Web.com Tour, had his second-best finish of the season at the BMW Charity tournament at Greer, South Carolina. Finau shot a final-round 67 to move up to a tie for 18th place at 273, earning $8,476. It marked the fifth straight tournament that Finau has made the cut, and he improved to 38th on the money list.
Ogden’s Zac Blair had his best finish of the year on the PGA’s Latino America NEC Series Tour by finishing fifth at the Dominican Republic Open. The former BYU golfer finished 8-under-par 280, four shots behind the winner. Going into the tournament, Blair had made five of six cuts on the tour and had now moved up to 16th on the money list.
Todd, who pocketed $1.2 million for his first PGA Tour victory, also has a local connection in that he won the Nationwide Tour Utah Classic tournament in 2008.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15