OGDEN — A woman was killed after being struck by a vehicle while she and her granddaughter were attempting to cross an Ogden street Saturday night.
About 9 p.m., Ogden police were dispatched to the collision at 164 N. Harrisville Road. A 48-year-old woman and her 8-year-old granddaughter were walking east across Harrisville Road on their way home from visiting a store in the area.
Witnesses told investigators that the woman and the girl appeared to have stopped somewhere in the four-lane road, attempting to retrieve a sandal that had fallen from one of their feet.
A 68-year-old man was driving north on Harrisville Road in a midsize SUV when the vehicle struck the woman, police said. The driver later told investigators that he didn't see the pair in the roadway.
The grandmother was taken to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead, according to Ogden Police Sgt. Cameron Stiver. The girl was transported to the same hospital with non-life threatening injuries, Stiver said.
Stiver said there wasn't a crosswalk where the accident occurred, though the pair were not in violation by crossing in that area. Police were unsure how fast the driver was traveling, but the speed limit was 45 mph in that area, Stiver said.
No citations have been issued pending the outcome of the investigation by the Ogden City Police Department Traffic Division. It didn't appear that alcohol and drugs were involved, according to police.
The names of those involved were not released Sunday morning.
— Morgan Jacobsen
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Officer shoots, kills dog while responding to...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 19
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13