High school boys track: Riverton dominates the 200 and 400 meters en route to 5A title
Chandler Swaney won the long jump with a mark of 22-08 3/4 — the second-best jump in Utah this year — while teammate Blake Kvarfordt won the shot put and discus.
“I think we all earned it. We have a great team. I love my teammates and it’s really sad I’m leaving since I’m a senior,” said Kvarfordt.
Runner-up Richfield had plenty of noteworthy performances as Derek Sorensen won the 100 and 400 meters, with Lance Allen winning both hurdles.
Grand won four events, led by Jacob Francis in the 1,600 and 3,200 meters, to win its third 2A state championship in the past four years.
The Red Devils tallied 104 points, with Delta in second with 72.
Kanab’s Luke Crosby was a double winner in 2A as well, winning both the 100 and 200 meters.
In 1A, Panguitch coach Troy Norris wasn’t sure if his team could overcome Duchesne’s strength in the sprints.
Despite only winning one event, though, the Bobcats did exactly that, capturing the team title with 120 points, followed by Duchesne with 78 points.
“I had a coach come to me and say, 'You have good athletes,' and I said, ‘No, we have good workers.’ 'Cause we do. We don’t have great athletes, but they work their butts off,” said Norris.
Panguitch’s only individual champ was Tyce Barney in the high jump on Friday.
Duchesne’s relay team had the top performance of the meet in the 4x100 setting a new 1A record with a time of 44.05. Dylan Despain helped anchor that relay, and also won the 100 and 200 meters and long jump. Vance Weston was a double winner in the 400 and 800 meters.
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a football...
- Sports BLT: BYU fan gets creative with...
- Preseason viewer’s guide: Clash of the...
- High school football: Top 10 storylines to...
- Brad Rock: Jerry Sloan praises ref who may...
- Utah football: With camp complete, Utes now...
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 110
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 107
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a... 101
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 79
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 76
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 46
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 39