SALT LAKE CITY — This year's 5A boys tennis tournament played out just like last year's tourney.
For the second year in a row, Viewmont hoisted the first-place trophy Saturday at Liberty Park, with Brighton staking claim to second place.
Brothers Sam and Jake Tullis led the Vikings' title run with a pair of singles titles, with the elder Tullis, Sam, collecting a third consecutive individual title for Viewmont.
"Really thrilling to see Sam win three consecutive championships. That's huge," said Viewmont coach Mark Burningham. "Those two together just made a really great team, and made everybody's job a little easier."
Sam Tullis finished his prep tennis career with a 6-2, 6-2 title-match victory over Riverton senior Ty Burke.
"I'm feeling about as happy as I've ever felt in the past four years playing tennis," said Tullis. "Stoked for my team, and truly stoked for myself."
Jake Tullis finished the tournament with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Lehi junior Keaton Mathis to claim the second singles crown and help secure the overall team title.
"I think this one is sweeter because last year I think we all expected to win it, and this year we came into the tournament not knowing what was going to happen," said Tullis. "Last year was amazing, and this year I think it's just a little bit better."
Brighton narrowly missed out on restoring its previous dynasty over the past decade, but still claimed a pair of individual titles Saturday.
Jared Mansell cruised through his semifinal match to meet Viewmont freshman Jack Taylor in the third singles title match. Taylor rallied to force a third set, but Mansell remained poised en route to the title in a 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 victory.
The Bengals again found success in first doubles, as the tandem of Cheyenne Perry and Mitchell Mansell survived a 5-7, 6-0, 6-2 win over Viemont’s Jens Filmore and Henry Blackburn.
Davis managed to finish third in the tournament, which culminated in a second doubles title to close the 5A event. McKay Bruse and Braydon Barlow outlasted Bingham seniors Matt Tobler and Matt Sorensen in a spectacular 4-6, 6-1, 7-5 match.
Follow Conner on Twitter: TheConner88
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school track: State meet Day 1 results
- 5A tennis: Lone Peak takes first boys tennis...
- 4A boys tennis: Timpview takes 13th title in...
- High school boys track: Final state meet results
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball... 4
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- 5A softball: Unranked and unheralded... 3
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school baseball: Lone Peak pulls... 1
- High school baseball: Wasatch skipper... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0