BYU baseball: Robinson, Poulson lead BYU to 6-1 win and sweep at Portland
Dillon Robinson accounted for four runs and Desmond Poulson picked up his final win Saturday in a 6-1 BYU baseball victory in sweeping Portland.
The Cougars finished the season with a 22-31 overall record and 12-15 in the West Coast Conference, while Portland fell to 11-41 and 5-22 in the WCC.
Trailing 1-0 in the second inning, BYU loaded the bases for nothing. Then, Robinson gave the Cougars momentum and the lead.
In the third inning, Robinson smacked a three-run homer over the right field fence with no outs on a 2-1 pitch to lift BYU from a 1-0 deficit.
“I was looking to hit a sacrifice fly and got a good pitch to hit,” Robinson said. “I knew I got a hold of it because it moved toward the fence quickly.”
In the bottom of that frame, Robinson caught a foul ball leaning over the fence rail. Then, Jarrett Jarvis combined with Hayden Nielsen to peg the Portland runner attempting to steal second as BYU ended up retiring the Pilots in order. The junior from Pleasant Grove also scored the Cougars’ fourth run in seventh.
Those runs and plays gave Poulson breathing room as he scattered six hits in 6.2 innings, striking out five Pilots to even his record at 5-5 for the season. The right hander, who wore jersey No. 19 in his four-year Cougar career, also got his 19th win Saturday.
“We got three great pitching performances from our starters and everyone who came in did their job,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said. “Desmond is a team guy first. He was efficient today.
“This series was our potential. We are starting to develop confidence. I can’t say enough about this series and how we finished the year. The guys showed tremendous character. I’m really proud of them.”
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill wants...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Utes football fan raising money to put 'Utah'...
- Dante Exum returning to Utah after injuring...
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- High school football: Alta Hawks 2015 preview
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 30
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 24
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 17
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 17
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 16