BYU baseball: Robinson, Poulson lead BYU to 6-1 win and sweep at Portland
Dillon Robinson accounted for four runs and Desmond Poulson picked up his final win Saturday in a 6-1 BYU baseball victory in sweeping Portland.
The Cougars finished the season with a 22-31 overall record and 12-15 in the West Coast Conference, while Portland fell to 11-41 and 5-22 in the WCC.
Trailing 1-0 in the second inning, BYU loaded the bases for nothing. Then, Robinson gave the Cougars momentum and the lead.
In the third inning, Robinson smacked a three-run homer over the right field fence with no outs on a 2-1 pitch to lift BYU from a 1-0 deficit.
“I was looking to hit a sacrifice fly and got a good pitch to hit,” Robinson said. “I knew I got a hold of it because it moved toward the fence quickly.”
In the bottom of that frame, Robinson caught a foul ball leaning over the fence rail. Then, Jarrett Jarvis combined with Hayden Nielsen to peg the Portland runner attempting to steal second as BYU ended up retiring the Pilots in order. The junior from Pleasant Grove also scored the Cougars’ fourth run in seventh.
Those runs and plays gave Poulson breathing room as he scattered six hits in 6.2 innings, striking out five Pilots to even his record at 5-5 for the season. The right hander, who wore jersey No. 19 in his four-year Cougar career, also got his 19th win Saturday.
“We got three great pitching performances from our starters and everyone who came in did their job,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said. “Desmond is a team guy first. He was efficient today.
“This series was our potential. We are starting to develop confidence. I can’t say enough about this series and how we finished the year. The guys showed tremendous character. I’m really proud of them.”
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ranking the 26 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises BYU...
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed after...
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of the...
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in on NFL...
- Doug Robinson: A girl for all seasons: One...
- Boxing champ Gene Fullmer: An ordinary family...
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's...
- BYU announces 2015 football schedule,... 91
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises... 64
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 49
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 45
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 42
- BYU hires Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis as... 40
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of... 35
- BYU's 2015 bowl destination could be... 32