3 dead after chase from Salt Lake airport parking lot ends in crash on I-80
Hugh Carey, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Three people are dead and another was in critical condition after a crash on Interstate 80 early Saturday.
Salt Lake International Airport police attempted to stop a car that was speeding from the airport parking lot at about 5 a.m. The vehicle fled and police terminated the chase, according to Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Jeff Nigbur.
But when the officer turned around, he noticed a cloud of dust and saw that the vehicle he had been chasing had crashed while trying to turn onto I-215.
Nigbur said it was apparent upon approaching the vehicle that three occupants were dead, and another, the driver, had collapsed outside of the vehicle.
Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Larry Mower said the vehicle had rolled several times before landing on its roof in the weeds off of the side of I-80.
"It looks like the person was on I-80 and then attempted to take the exit at the last second and couldn’t manipulate the turn," Mower said.
The driver was taken to a local hospital in critical condition and the crash remained under investigation. Names of the deceased have not been released.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13