3 dead after chase from Salt Lake airport parking lot ends in crash on I-80
Hugh Carey, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Three people are dead and another was in critical condition after a crash on Interstate 80 early Saturday.
Salt Lake International Airport police attempted to stop a car that was speeding from the airport parking lot at about 5 a.m. The vehicle fled and police terminated the chase, according to Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Jeff Nigbur.
But when the officer turned around, he noticed a cloud of dust and saw that the vehicle he had been chasing had crashed while trying to turn onto I-215.
Nigbur said it was apparent upon approaching the vehicle that three occupants were dead, and another, the driver, had collapsed outside of the vehicle.
Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Larry Mower said the vehicle had rolled several times before landing on its roof in the weeds off of the side of I-80.
"It looks like the person was on I-80 and then attempted to take the exit at the last second and couldn’t manipulate the turn," Mower said.
The driver was taken to a local hospital in critical condition and the crash remained under investigation. Names of the deceased have not been released.
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- House panel to discuss bill on ending tax on...
- In this case, wild horses drag them together
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 29
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 12
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 10
- House panel to discuss bill on ending... 9