3 dead after chase from Salt Lake airport parking lot ends in crash on I-80
Hugh Carey, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Three people are dead and another was in critical condition after a crash on Interstate 80 early Saturday.
Salt Lake International Airport police attempted to stop a car that was speeding from the airport parking lot at about 5 a.m. The vehicle fled and police terminated the chase, according to Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Jeff Nigbur.
But when the officer turned around, he noticed a cloud of dust and saw that the vehicle he had been chasing had crashed while trying to turn onto I-215.
Nigbur said it was apparent upon approaching the vehicle that three occupants were dead, and another, the driver, had collapsed outside of the vehicle.
Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Larry Mower said the vehicle had rolled several times before landing on its roof in the weeds off of the side of I-80.
"It looks like the person was on I-80 and then attempted to take the exit at the last second and couldn’t manipulate the turn," Mower said.
The driver was taken to a local hospital in critical condition and the crash remained under investigation. Names of the deceased have not been released.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought Boardwalk!
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Body of overdue hiker found in Zion National...
- Tourists rescued after road collapses,...
- Man dies after being shot in the head at Salt...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 77
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Mia Love declines to make joint... 50
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Utah to appeal polygamy ruling in... 13