3 dead after chase from Salt Lake airport parking lot ends in crash on I-80
Hugh Carey, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Three people are dead and another was in critical condition after a crash on Interstate 80 early Saturday.
Salt Lake International Airport police attempted to stop a car that was speeding from the airport parking lot at about 5 a.m. The vehicle fled and police terminated the chase, according to Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Jeff Nigbur.
But when the officer turned around, he noticed a cloud of dust and saw that the vehicle he had been chasing had crashed while trying to turn onto I-215.
Nigbur said it was apparent upon approaching the vehicle that three occupants were dead, and another, the driver, had collapsed outside of the vehicle.
Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Larry Mower said the vehicle had rolled several times before landing on its roof in the weeds off of the side of I-80.
"It looks like the person was on I-80 and then attempted to take the exit at the last second and couldn’t manipulate the turn," Mower said.
The driver was taken to a local hospital in critical condition and the crash remained under investigation. Names of the deceased have not been released.
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 94
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 77
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 35
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 30
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19