BYU golf: Justin Keiley, Jordan Rodgers help Cougars improve after round two
"It's always nice to have your four and five guys put up respectable numbers for the team," BYU men's golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "Keiley is playing solid like always and we moved up a couple spots. We're in great company and we just have to go out and have a great day. We have a great chance to advance and it's nice to be in contention."
The Cougars carded a 6-over 294 in the second round and are 17-over-par overall. BYU tied in fifth place with Texas trailing fourth-place Virginia Tech by a single stroke. Alabama remains on top at 5-under-par with Auburn trailing by 15 strokes at 10-over-par for second place.
"It'll come right down to the last nine holes," Brockbank said. "It'll be an absolute shootout for the other four teams tomorrow."
The top-five teams from each regional will advance to the NCAA Championships on May 23-28, at Prairie Dunes Country Club in Hutchinson, Kansas.
Keiley improved four places and tied in 10th to finish 1-over-par with two birdies, while Rodgers improved 23 places and tied in 23rd to finish at 4-over-par. Rodgers carded a 1-under 71 on day two for the team low to go along with three birdies.
Senior Jordan Hammer moved up seven spots to tie in 39th place at 7-over-par with a pair of birdies, while Joe Parkinson tied for 42nd place at 8-over-par and two birdies. Cole Ogden tied for 56th place at 12-over-par after the second round.
BYU hopes to finish in the top five as it returns to action for the final round on Friday at Auburn University Club. Tee times begin at 7:30 a.m. CST, with live stats on Golfstat.
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Morning links: National college... 96
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 95
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 57
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 30
- 9 observations from the release of Utah... 14