BYU golf: Justin Keiley, Jordan Rodgers help Cougars improve after round two
"It's always nice to have your four and five guys put up respectable numbers for the team," BYU men's golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "Keiley is playing solid like always and we moved up a couple spots. We're in great company and we just have to go out and have a great day. We have a great chance to advance and it's nice to be in contention."
The Cougars carded a 6-over 294 in the second round and are 17-over-par overall. BYU tied in fifth place with Texas trailing fourth-place Virginia Tech by a single stroke. Alabama remains on top at 5-under-par with Auburn trailing by 15 strokes at 10-over-par for second place.
"It'll come right down to the last nine holes," Brockbank said. "It'll be an absolute shootout for the other four teams tomorrow."
The top-five teams from each regional will advance to the NCAA Championships on May 23-28, at Prairie Dunes Country Club in Hutchinson, Kansas.
Keiley improved four places and tied in 10th to finish 1-over-par with two birdies, while Rodgers improved 23 places and tied in 23rd to finish at 4-over-par. Rodgers carded a 1-under 71 on day two for the team low to go along with three birdies.
Senior Jordan Hammer moved up seven spots to tie in 39th place at 7-over-par with a pair of birdies, while Joe Parkinson tied for 42nd place at 8-over-par and two birdies. Cole Ogden tied for 56th place at 12-over-par after the second round.
BYU hopes to finish in the top five as it returns to action for the final round on Friday at Auburn University Club. Tee times begin at 7:30 a.m. CST, with live stats on Golfstat.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41