RSL midfielder Kyle Beckerman excited for possibility of playing in 2014 World Cup (+video)
Real Salt Lake and U.S. Men’s National Team’s Kyle Beckerman appeared in a Major League Soccer video Friday talking about the thrill of making the USMNT 30-man roster and the possibility of playing in this year’s World Cup for the U.S.
“The main thing for me is I just try to keep my head down, keep working hard and not look too far ahead,” Beckerman said in the video. “If you put in all the work and do everything you can, you win either way.”
The midfielder was named to USMNT 30-man preliminary roster Monday, along with RSL teammate Nick Rimando. Beckerman will know before June 2 if he will be on the team’s final 23-man roster for the World Cup in Brazil.
He has appeared in 35 career games with the U.S. team.
Beckerman also discusses his favorite memories watching the World Cup in the video. He said his favorite moment came in the USMNT upset of Portugal during the 2002 World Cup in South Korea and Japan.
“The most memorable game I can remember is kind of waking up half asleep and looking at the TV and seeing that we were beating Portugal 3-0,” he said, recalling the 2002 World Cup game. “I thought I was dreaming and then you wake up — and it was three in the morning or something — and then to watch us hold on for the win was definitely something I’ll never forget.”
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26