Sen. Orrin Hatch tops list of senators who've passed the most laws
J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, has gotten more laws passed than anyone else currently serving in the Senate, according to a ranking released Friday by the National Journal.
Hatch has sponsored or co-sponsored 742 bills that have become law during his 37 years in the Senate, according to the publication's rankings. First elected in 1976, Hatch is the second-longest serving member of the Senate.
"I'm proud of the many good things we’ve been able to accomplish together over the years I’ve been in office,” Hatch said in a statement, calling representing Utah "a weighty responsibility to advance the public good" and an honor and a privilege.
Only Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., first elected in 1974, has more seniority in the Senate than Hatch, but with 499 laws passed, Leahy was ninth on the list of the numbers of laws passed per senator as of May 13.
Right behind Hatch on the list was Sen. Thad Cochran, R-Miss., with 675 laws passed. Cochran joined the Senate in December 1978 and is the third-most senior member of the Senate.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., was in seventh place on the list, with 507 laws passed. Longtime House member Sen. Edward Markey, D-Mass., who joined the Senate last year, had 506.
The National Journal cited both Hatch's longevity and his prestigious committee assignments as factors in his topping the list. Hatch's committee assignments have included chairing the powerful Senate Judiciary Committee.
— Lisa Riley Roche
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Police: Body of man missing since March found
- Oldest giraffe in North America dies at Hogle...
- Zion's Hidden Canyon Trail to close for...
- Nebo educator named Health Teacher of the Year
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 101
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9