America is a great country. It really is. Utah is a great state, too. So when people say it makes no difference when Utah or Salt Lake cuts carbon emissions, I say they need to quit wringing their hands and stop acting as though we are helpless about climate change.
It is true that if only Utah acts, nothing changes. It is also true that if just one person cuts back on watering their lawn during a water shortage, water is not suddenly abundant again. But if that person talks with their neighbors and gets them to join together, there is no more crisis. When Salt Lake City increases energy efficiency or installs solar panels, it’s saying “we’re willing to do our part.” It’s telling Congress that we are willing to do more, if only everyone will join in.
The world wants, needs and is waiting for American leadership on global warming. America needs to take the first step, and then we can talk with India and China about how the world needs to take the second step. We just need to stop fretting and remember how strong we really are.
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- My view: Deeper look at Utah’s...
- Charles Krauthammer: The nation expects...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- A. Scott Anderson: Give students skills that...
- My view: The best legislation meets all sides
- Letter: Give her time
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 152
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 75
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges... 36
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 30
- My view: The best legislation meets all... 30
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 29
- Letter: Legal weapons on campus 29