Democrats should refuse to participate in the new House select committee to investigate the Benghazi attack. How many inquiries are needed? Why legitimize a new attempt to smear the administration? Past presentation of Benghazi smoking guns — like the current “damning” White House email — have seemed more like duds.
Instead, while the select committee meets, Democrats should hold their own special committee hearing to get to the bottom of what really matters to Americans:
How can we have the best economy? How can we boost job growth and wages? How can we reduce economic inequality?
Such a hearing would also contrast Republicans’ interest in beating a dead horse to Democrats’ interest in our everyday lives.
And this might be an opportunity to add a new term to our vocabulary. One can "Benghazi" a political position; i.e., for political gain, one can continually raise a concern for which there is little or no evidence.
Frankly, I have been “Benghazied” enough.
North Manchester, Indiana
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on...
- Sen. Mike Lee: Let people, not courts, define...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- Robert J. Samuelson: GOP looking to kill the...
- Drew Clark: Can the Supreme Court find...
- Peter Corroon: Generalizations about liberals...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: We can't help...
- Letter: Can Iran be trusted?
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on... 153
- Sen. Mike Lee: Let people, not courts,... 84
- Peter Corroon: Generalizations about... 50
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified... 49
- Letter: Can Iran be trusted? 39
- Drew Clark: Can the Supreme Court find... 29
- Robert J. Samuelson: GOP looking to... 29
- Letter: We can do better 28