Democrats should refuse to participate in the new House select committee to investigate the Benghazi attack. How many inquiries are needed? Why legitimize a new attempt to smear the administration? Past presentation of Benghazi smoking guns — like the current “damning” White House email — have seemed more like duds.
Instead, while the select committee meets, Democrats should hold their own special committee hearing to get to the bottom of what really matters to Americans:
How can we have the best economy? How can we boost job growth and wages? How can we reduce economic inequality?
Such a hearing would also contrast Republicans’ interest in beating a dead horse to Democrats’ interest in our everyday lives.
And this might be an opportunity to add a new term to our vocabulary. One can "Benghazi" a political position; i.e., for political gain, one can continually raise a concern for which there is little or no evidence.
Frankly, I have been “Benghazied” enough.
North Manchester, Indiana
- Jay Evensen: Will Obama visit Utah? Do we care?
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah businesses...
- In our opinion: Fairness for all in religious...
- In our opinion: It's time for Utah to adopt a...
- Susan Roylance: UN attempts to reform the...
- 16 of the most heart warming and feel-good...
- Family safety and vaccination concerns...
- My view: Now is the time for significant...
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 42
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah... 42
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize... 38
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33
- In our opinion: Fairness for all in... 33
- Jay Evensen: Will Obama visit Utah? Do... 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 31
- Letter: Prison nonsense 28