Democrats should refuse to participate in the new House select committee to investigate the Benghazi attack. How many inquiries are needed? Why legitimize a new attempt to smear the administration? Past presentation of Benghazi smoking guns — like the current “damning” White House email — have seemed more like duds.
Instead, while the select committee meets, Democrats should hold their own special committee hearing to get to the bottom of what really matters to Americans:
How can we have the best economy? How can we boost job growth and wages? How can we reduce economic inequality?
Such a hearing would also contrast Republicans’ interest in beating a dead horse to Democrats’ interest in our everyday lives.
And this might be an opportunity to add a new term to our vocabulary. One can "Benghazi" a political position; i.e., for political gain, one can continually raise a concern for which there is little or no evidence.
Frankly, I have been “Benghazied” enough.
North Manchester, Indiana
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- In our opinion: Disgusting algae bloom...
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake
- My view: Prison reform proponents have it...
- Arthur Cyr: Coup attempt underscores...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 27
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- My view: More whites should practice... 21
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake 16
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 15
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 14