Democrats should refuse to participate in the new House select committee to investigate the Benghazi attack. How many inquiries are needed? Why legitimize a new attempt to smear the administration? Past presentation of Benghazi smoking guns — like the current “damning” White House email — have seemed more like duds.
Instead, while the select committee meets, Democrats should hold their own special committee hearing to get to the bottom of what really matters to Americans:
How can we have the best economy? How can we boost job growth and wages? How can we reduce economic inequality?
Such a hearing would also contrast Republicans’ interest in beating a dead horse to Democrats’ interest in our everyday lives.
And this might be an opportunity to add a new term to our vocabulary. One can "Benghazi" a political position; i.e., for political gain, one can continually raise a concern for which there is little or no evidence.
Frankly, I have been “Benghazied” enough.
North Manchester, Indiana
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense Secretary Leon...
- John Hoffmire: What's the next step in the...
- Greg Bell: Lessons learned form the campaign...
- Letter: Uninformed candidate
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Our frank...
- In our opinion: Where has the family values...
- Letter: Bad calls and no-calls
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 134
- Greg Bell: Lessons learned form the... 86
- In our opinion: New conservative war on... 53
- In our opinion: Where has the family... 49
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 30
- Dan Liljenquist: Ebola virus has... 29
- Charles Krauthammer: We need to... 27
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 27