Democrats should refuse to participate in the new House select committee to investigate the Benghazi attack. How many inquiries are needed? Why legitimize a new attempt to smear the administration? Past presentation of Benghazi smoking guns — like the current “damning” White House email — have seemed more like duds.
Instead, while the select committee meets, Democrats should hold their own special committee hearing to get to the bottom of what really matters to Americans:
How can we have the best economy? How can we boost job growth and wages? How can we reduce economic inequality?
Such a hearing would also contrast Republicans’ interest in beating a dead horse to Democrats’ interest in our everyday lives.
And this might be an opportunity to add a new term to our vocabulary. One can "Benghazi" a political position; i.e., for political gain, one can continually raise a concern for which there is little or no evidence.
Frankly, I have been “Benghazied” enough.
North Manchester, Indiana
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- In our opinion: Most Americans struggling to...
- Jay Evensen: Marijuana acceptance will lead...
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an impoverished...
- Letter: Irreparable damage
- Everything you need to know about the...
- Join the discussion: Is bipartisanship making...
- My view: Let's reserve costly prison beds for...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 75
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 61
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Letter: Utah's birthright 45
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Letter: Irreparable damage 40
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37
- Letter: Protected lands 36