Democrats should refuse to participate in the new House select committee to investigate the Benghazi attack. How many inquiries are needed? Why legitimize a new attempt to smear the administration? Past presentation of Benghazi smoking guns — like the current “damning” White House email — have seemed more like duds.
Instead, while the select committee meets, Democrats should hold their own special committee hearing to get to the bottom of what really matters to Americans:
How can we have the best economy? How can we boost job growth and wages? How can we reduce economic inequality?
Such a hearing would also contrast Republicans’ interest in beating a dead horse to Democrats’ interest in our everyday lives.
And this might be an opportunity to add a new term to our vocabulary. One can "Benghazi" a political position; i.e., for political gain, one can continually raise a concern for which there is little or no evidence.
Frankly, I have been “Benghazied” enough.
North Manchester, Indiana
- Jay Evensen: Birthright citizenship —...
- My view: Don’t expand Medicaid with a...
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive...
- Dan Liljenquist: Charter schools provide...
- Richard Davis: What can Republicans do with...
- My view: Women’s equality — 95...
- In our opinion: Security with Clinton's email...
- Letter: Appalling attitude
- Letter: Appalling attitude 84
- George F. Will: Immigration-related... 57
- Letter: Big money in politics 44
- In our opinion: Security with Clinton's... 43
- Richard Davis: What can Republicans do... 39
- My view: No matter who pays the bill,... 34
- My view: Don’t expand Medicaid... 34
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive... 31