Former BYU running back Harvey Unga trying out with Carolina Panthers
Bob Leverone, ASSOCIATED PRESS
BYU's all-time leading rusher is still fighting to keep his NFL dream alive.
Harvey Unga is at the Carolina Panthers' rookie mini-camp Friday and Saturday looking to make it back on an NFL roster. He is one of 35 players the Panthers are trying out this weekend. The list also includes another running back, former West Virginia standout Noel Devine.
Unga was selected by the Chicago Bears in the 2010 NFL Supplemental Draft. From 2010-13, Unga spent his time on the Bears' practice squad, was cut and then re-signed. He was later elevated to the active roster Dec. 28, 2012.
On Oct. 1, 2013, Unga, who converted to fullback with Chicago, was released by the Bears and has been working to make a roster ever since.
In his four seasons with Chicago, Unga played in six preseason games, rushing for 73 yards on 20 carries. On Aug. 29, 2013, he had his best game against Cleveland when he rushed for 31 rushing yards on eight carries while also catching three passes for 20 yards. However, he also lost a fumble in that contest.
In late January, the Daily Herald's Jared Lloyd reported that Unga tried out for the Green Bay Packers. He also participated in an NFL Regional Combine designed to give under-the-radar players a chance to perform for scouts in late March. According to nflregionalcombines.com, seven players who have participated in 2014 regional combines have signed with NFL teams as of May 6.
The Panthers currently have four running backs on their roster, including DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Kenjon Barner and 2014 draft pick Tyler Gaffney. Carolina also has two fullbacks — Mike Tolbert and Michael Zordich.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20