Former BYU running back Harvey Unga trying out with Carolina Panthers
Bob Leverone, ASSOCIATED PRESS
BYU's all-time leading rusher is still fighting to keep his NFL dream alive.
Harvey Unga is at the Carolina Panthers' rookie mini-camp Friday and Saturday looking to make it back on an NFL roster. He is one of 35 players the Panthers are trying out this weekend. The list also includes another running back, former West Virginia standout Noel Devine.
Unga was selected by the Chicago Bears in the 2010 NFL Supplemental Draft. From 2010-13, Unga spent his time on the Bears' practice squad, was cut and then re-signed. He was later elevated to the active roster Dec. 28, 2012.
On Oct. 1, 2013, Unga, who converted to fullback with Chicago, was released by the Bears and has been working to make a roster ever since.
In his four seasons with Chicago, Unga played in six preseason games, rushing for 73 yards on 20 carries. On Aug. 29, 2013, he had his best game against Cleveland when he rushed for 31 rushing yards on eight carries while also catching three passes for 20 yards. However, he also lost a fumble in that contest.
In late January, the Daily Herald's Jared Lloyd reported that Unga tried out for the Green Bay Packers. He also participated in an NFL Regional Combine designed to give under-the-radar players a chance to perform for scouts in late March. According to nflregionalcombines.com, seven players who have participated in 2014 regional combines have signed with NFL teams as of May 6.
The Panthers currently have four running backs on their roster, including DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Kenjon Barner and 2014 draft pick Tyler Gaffney. Carolina also has two fullbacks — Mike Tolbert and Michael Zordich.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 71
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 26
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14