Former BYU running back Harvey Unga trying out with Carolina Panthers
Bob Leverone, ASSOCIATED PRESS
BYU's all-time leading rusher is still fighting to keep his NFL dream alive.
Harvey Unga is at the Carolina Panthers' rookie mini-camp Friday and Saturday looking to make it back on an NFL roster. He is one of 35 players the Panthers are trying out this weekend. The list also includes another running back, former West Virginia standout Noel Devine.
Unga was selected by the Chicago Bears in the 2010 NFL Supplemental Draft. From 2010-13, Unga spent his time on the Bears' practice squad, was cut and then re-signed. He was later elevated to the active roster Dec. 28, 2012.
On Oct. 1, 2013, Unga, who converted to fullback with Chicago, was released by the Bears and has been working to make a roster ever since.
In his four seasons with Chicago, Unga played in six preseason games, rushing for 73 yards on 20 carries. On Aug. 29, 2013, he had his best game against Cleveland when he rushed for 31 rushing yards on eight carries while also catching three passes for 20 yards. However, he also lost a fumble in that contest.
In late January, the Daily Herald's Jared Lloyd reported that Unga tried out for the Green Bay Packers. He also participated in an NFL Regional Combine designed to give under-the-radar players a chance to perform for scouts in late March. According to nflregionalcombines.com, seven players who have participated in 2014 regional combines have signed with NFL teams as of May 6.
The Panthers currently have four running backs on their roster, including DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Kenjon Barner and 2014 draft pick Tyler Gaffney. Carolina also has two fullbacks — Mike Tolbert and Michael Zordich.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22