BYU basketball: Former Utah State forward Kyle Davis transferring to BYU
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — Kyle Davis surely must have impressed the BYU basketball coaching staff late last November when he scored 16 points and grabbed nine rebounds for Utah State in a Cougar victory over the Aggies.
Friday, BYU coach Dave Rose announced that the 6-foot-7 forward from Draper is transferring to BYU from USU.
Davis will not be able to play during the upcoming 2014-15 season due to NCAA transfer rules. He will have two years of eligibility remaining starting in 2015-16.
"We're excited to have Kyle join our team," Rose said in a statement. "Kyle is a big, strong athlete who can run the floor, rebound and score. He will be a great addition to our front line and will fit perfectly with the guys we have in our program and the style we like to play."
Last season, Davis was the Aggies’ fourth-leading scorer (9.1 ppg), second-leading rebounder (7.6 rpg) and started 27 of 29 games. He also shot 50 percent from the field (including 7 of 11 against BYU) and was the team’s leading shot-blocker with 37 blocks.
Davis scored a season-high 18 points against Weber State and twice had 15 rebounds in a game.
As a freshman, Davis played at Southern Utah in 2010-11, averaging 8.5 points and 5.3 rebounds. He then left to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Detroit.
An Alta High product, Davis led the Hawks to the 5A state title and earned tournament MVP honors in 2010. He averaged 18.5 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.4 blocks, 1.5 steals and 1.3 assists as he was named 5A MVP.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 93
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 87
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 75
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of... 20