BYU basketball: Former Utah State forward Kyle Davis transferring to BYU
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — Kyle Davis surely must have impressed the BYU basketball coaching staff late last November when he scored 16 points and grabbed nine rebounds for Utah State in a Cougar victory over the Aggies.
Friday, BYU coach Dave Rose announced that the 6-foot-7 forward from Draper is transferring to BYU from USU.
Davis will not be able to play during the upcoming 2014-15 season due to NCAA transfer rules. He will have two years of eligibility remaining starting in 2015-16.
"We're excited to have Kyle join our team," Rose said in a statement. "Kyle is a big, strong athlete who can run the floor, rebound and score. He will be a great addition to our front line and will fit perfectly with the guys we have in our program and the style we like to play."
Last season, Davis was the Aggies’ fourth-leading scorer (9.1 ppg), second-leading rebounder (7.6 rpg) and started 27 of 29 games. He also shot 50 percent from the field (including 7 of 11 against BYU) and was the team’s leading shot-blocker with 37 blocks.
Davis scored a season-high 18 points against Weber State and twice had 15 rebounds in a game.
As a freshman, Davis played at Southern Utah in 2010-11, averaging 8.5 points and 5.3 rebounds. He then left to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Detroit.
An Alta High product, Davis led the Hawks to the 5A state title and earned tournament MVP honors in 2010. He averaged 18.5 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.4 blocks, 1.5 steals and 1.3 assists as he was named 5A MVP.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 49
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26