High school tennis: Viewmont, Brighton tied for 5A team lead after Day 1
The first day of the 5A state tennis tournament at Liberty Park went about as expected on Thursday, which sets the stage for an exciting conclusion on Saturday.
Viewmont and Brighton are tied for the team lead with nine points after the opening day, with each advancing four teams into Saturday’s semifinals.
As expected, Viewmont’s Sam Tullis in first singles and brother Jake Tullis in second singles rolled into the semifinals dropping a combined three games in their two matches on Thursday.
The surprise of the opening day came at first singles. Brighton’s Chase Stoner lost his first singles quarterfinal match to Riverton’s Ty Burke when he was forced to withdrawal with an injury in the third set. Brighton was definitely counting on Stoner to pick up key points in the team title race, and his absence puts pressure on Brighton’s doubles teams and third singles competitor to get maximum points Saturday.
The Bengals swept those three events last year but still finished second to state champion Viewmont.
While Brighton bowed out of first singles on Day 1, the only position Viewmont didn’t advance to the semifinals was at second doubles, losing in a second set tiebreaker. That opens the door for Brighton to make up ground at second doubles.
Pleasant Grove, Davis and Lone Peak all advanced two teams into the semifinals and are tied for third with six points.
5A State Tournament
Thomas Mikulus, Alta def. Daniel Liu, West, 6-0, 6-1
Brocton Andrus, Lone Peak def. Ben Graff, Northridge, 6-0, 6-1
Sam Tullis, Viewmont def. Tyler Ross, Herriman, 6-0, 6-1
Nathan Balls, Bingham def. Remi Prince, Taylorsville, 6-2, 6-3
Jake Harris, Pleasant Grove def. Sam Hafen, Davis, 6-2, 6-2
John Ludlum, Hillcrest ef. Jefferson Colt, Jordan, 6-3, 2-6, 7-6
Chase Stoner, Brighton def. Parker Wood, Hunter, 6-0, 6-0
Ty Burke, Riverton def. Zane Peterson, Fremont, 6-0, 6-0
Andrus def. Mikulus, 6-2, 6-2
Tullis def. Balls, 6-0, 6-1
Harris def. Ludlum, 6-1, 7-6
Burke def. Stoner, 6-7, 6-4, 4-3 (inj. WD)
Derek Schetselaar, Lone Peak def. Dylan Taylor, Cottonwood, 6-0, 6-1
Jake Tullis, Viewmont def. Collin Greer, Jordan, 6-0, 6-0
Anthony Panuzio, Brighton def.. Bridger Coburn, Northridge, 6-0, 6-0
Nick Olsen, Pleasant Grove def. Kolby Silim, Taylorsville, 6-3, 7-5
Michael Moody, Davis def. Jordan Treglown, Bingham, 7-5, 6-3
Tyler Rindlisbacher, Herriman def. A.J. Lolohea, West, 6-2, 6-1
Keaton Mathis, Lehi def. Eric LeMoine, Hunter, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
Chase Zageoric-Marx, Alta def. Krystof Brichta, Weber, 6-2, 6-2
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- 3A golf: Desert Hills comes from behind this...
- Utahns in baseball: C.J. Cron productive for...
- Ultimate disc: High school championships...
- High school boys track: Clinger of Am.F....
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:... 3
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- Utahns in baseball: C.J. Cron... 2
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school softball: 5A/4A state... 0
- 3A golf: Desert Hills comes from behind... 0