BYU golf: Keiley sits in 14th, Cougars in eighth after day one of regionals
Senior Justin Keiley led the BYU men's golf team to eighth place after the first round of the NCAA Auburn Regional on Thursday.
"The day was really windy, so it was really challenging and tough to shoot a good score," BYU men's golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "It put us right in the middle of the pack. We let a few shots at the end of the round get away from us, but I was pleased with the way the guys hung in there and battled."
The low five teams from each regional will advance to the NCAA Championships on May 23-28, at Prairie Dunes Country Club in Hutchinson, Kansas.
BYU finished the first 18 holes of the tournament at 11-over-par to trail fifth place Kennesaw State and Louisville by two strokes. No. 1 Alabama led the 14-team tournament at 1-under-par with Texas trailing by four strokes for second place.
"All in all, we're right there. We're still in it and we just have to have a good day tomorrow," Brockbank said.
Keiley tied for 14th place at 1-over-par and added three birdies on the day, while Cole Ogden tied in 20th place at 2-over-par with a single birdie.
Joe Parkinson trailed by one stroke at 3-over-par to tie in 28th place with a pair of birdies. Jordan Rodgers and Jordan Hammer tied in 46th place at 5-over-par to go along with three birdies and one birdie, respectively.
The Cougars return to action for the second round on Friday at the Auburn University Club. Tee times begin at 8 a.m. CST.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29