11 dog attacks on postal workers reported in Salt Lake City last year
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — There were 11 incidents of dogs biting postal workers in Salt Lake City last year, the U.S. Postal Service indicated this week as it announced the 30 cities with the highest number of attacks.
Salt Lake tied with six other cities to land at No. 30 on the list with 11 dog vs. postal worker incidents.
USPS released the report Wednesday to kick off National Dog Bite Prevention Week.
Last year, 5,581 postal workers were attacked by dogs, USPS reported. Houston had the highest number of attacks with 63, followed by 61 in Los Angeles in 58 in Cleveland.
"There's a myth we often hear at the Postal Service," USPS safety manager Linda DeCarlo said. "'Don't worry. My dog won't bite.' Dog attacks are a nationwide issue and not just a postal problem. Any dog can bite, and all attacks are preventable through responsible pet ownership."
DeCarlo encouraged dog owners to place their pets in a separate room before opening the door to retrieve mail or packages from carriers, and to secure dogs that are running loose.
If a carrier feels threatened by a dog running loose, the owner may be asked to come pick up mail at an area post office.
Because dogs can be especially protective of children in their families, parents should teach kids not to accept mail directly from a carrier while their pet is nearby, DeCarlo said. The dog may perceive a stranger handing the child something as a threatening move.
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Hikers brave cold and wind instead of Black...
- Citywide remodels home for family of teen...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 10
- Ex A.G. John Swallow wants FBI, DOJ... 7