In the bottom of the fifth inning with the score 8-0, bases loaded, two outs and a full count on Viking junior Ben Eldredge, he saw a fastball and slammed it into deep center, over the center fielder's head. It bounced to the fence as two runners scored. The walk-off double ended the game 10-0 for the Vikings.
Junior Easton Walker started on the mound for the Vikings, throwing seven pitches in the first inning to shut down the Huskies three up and three down. He was also the lead-off batter. He sent the second pitch he saw over the left field fence and definitely started the game with a statement. At the end of the first inning, Pleasant Grove was up 4-0.
"It's good to get back on the winning side of things. Walker really contributed to his win today with that first inning home run," Vikings head coach Darrin Henry said.
Walker talked about the victory with his teammates and said, "We were more relaxed today and started our offense early like we usually do," When asked about playing the next game, he said, "I don't know who we will play, and I really don't care."
All season, Henry has said, "These kids don't care who they play, where they play, they just want to play their best, work together and move on to the next game."
For Hillcrest, the Huskies had no runs on three hits, one error and one walk. Pleasant Grove had 10 runs on 12 hits, no errors and four walks.
This is the second loss in the state playoffs for Hillcrest, so they are finished for this year. Pleasant Grove moves on to play on Monday, May 19, at 11 a.m. against Fremont High School, which lost to Jordan High School 4-1 on Wednesday evening. This next game will be played at the Kearns High School Baseball Facility.
After the game, Henry said, "It's our job now to go get ’em on Monday and send as many teams home as we can."
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and reports on Pleasant Grove High School varsity sports for Deseret Connect.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26