I was impressed by the actions of Mayor Ralph Becker in fighting air pollution in the valley. I see this as a problem of science and not punishment. Will more regulations, higher fines and castigation of the automotive industry really clear the air? I don’t think so.
Where are the Farnsworths and Eyrings of today? Do we not have any scientists in our midst? We need a “Huntsman Institute” or a “Sloan-Kettering of Air Science” to emerge from the smog and lead us into the clear. They know how to create solutions.
Science solutions require cognition, recognition, trained observation, testing, retesting, review, failure analysis, prayer and reruns of all the above. Try this on the smog and then cheer when it’s done.
Kudos to the mayor for his gallant try.
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms of...
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- My view: They run toward danger
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps us strong
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Medicare Advantage
- In our opinion: National security and... 66
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 43
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 17
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 16
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13