I was impressed by the actions of Mayor Ralph Becker in fighting air pollution in the valley. I see this as a problem of science and not punishment. Will more regulations, higher fines and castigation of the automotive industry really clear the air? I don’t think so.
Where are the Farnsworths and Eyrings of today? Do we not have any scientists in our midst? We need a “Huntsman Institute” or a “Sloan-Kettering of Air Science” to emerge from the smog and lead us into the clear. They know how to create solutions.
Science solutions require cognition, recognition, trained observation, testing, retesting, review, failure analysis, prayer and reruns of all the above. Try this on the smog and then cheer when it’s done.
Kudos to the mayor for his gallant try.
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 66
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 46
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 40
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- In our opinion: After change to state... 25
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23