I was impressed by the actions of Mayor Ralph Becker in fighting air pollution in the valley. I see this as a problem of science and not punishment. Will more regulations, higher fines and castigation of the automotive industry really clear the air? I don’t think so.
Where are the Farnsworths and Eyrings of today? Do we not have any scientists in our midst? We need a “Huntsman Institute” or a “Sloan-Kettering of Air Science” to emerge from the smog and lead us into the clear. They know how to create solutions.
Science solutions require cognition, recognition, trained observation, testing, retesting, review, failure analysis, prayer and reruns of all the above. Try this on the smog and then cheer when it’s done.
Kudos to the mayor for his gallant try.
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- Reconnecting with Cuba is a good move —...
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- My view: Doing away with cursive is bad idea...
- My view: In the name of God?
- Letter: No prison deficit
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 63
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 45
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 35
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30