I was impressed by the actions of Mayor Ralph Becker in fighting air pollution in the valley. I see this as a problem of science and not punishment. Will more regulations, higher fines and castigation of the automotive industry really clear the air? I don’t think so.
Where are the Farnsworths and Eyrings of today? Do we not have any scientists in our midst? We need a “Huntsman Institute” or a “Sloan-Kettering of Air Science” to emerge from the smog and lead us into the clear. They know how to create solutions.
Science solutions require cognition, recognition, trained observation, testing, retesting, review, failure analysis, prayer and reruns of all the above. Try this on the smog and then cheer when it’s done.
Kudos to the mayor for his gallant try.
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- Ralph Becker: Reaching for the best of the...
- George F. Will: Adding Pence the pliable to...
- My view: Supporting Utah's public education...
- Charles Krauthammer: Notes from Cleveland:...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 45
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 37
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 33
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 30
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 30
- Letter: Acting presidential 30
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22