I was impressed by the actions of Mayor Ralph Becker in fighting air pollution in the valley. I see this as a problem of science and not punishment. Will more regulations, higher fines and castigation of the automotive industry really clear the air? I don’t think so.
Where are the Farnsworths and Eyrings of today? Do we not have any scientists in our midst? We need a “Huntsman Institute” or a “Sloan-Kettering of Air Science” to emerge from the smog and lead us into the clear. They know how to create solutions.
Science solutions require cognition, recognition, trained observation, testing, retesting, review, failure analysis, prayer and reruns of all the above. Try this on the smog and then cheer when it’s done.
Kudos to the mayor for his gallant try.
- Letter: Peanut butter ban?
- Letter: Pay for your share
- Drew Clark: What President Obama does well:...
- In our opinion: Parents reading to young...
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will save lives
- Letter: Repeating past mistakes
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules...
- John Florez: Education is 'app' to change...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 70
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 54
- In our opinion: How immigration reform... 43
- 6 important takeaways for families in... 37
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- Letter: Not so lazy 34
- Jay Evensen: Leave free tuition... 31
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 26