I was impressed by the actions of Mayor Ralph Becker in fighting air pollution in the valley. I see this as a problem of science and not punishment. Will more regulations, higher fines and castigation of the automotive industry really clear the air? I don’t think so.
Where are the Farnsworths and Eyrings of today? Do we not have any scientists in our midst? We need a “Huntsman Institute” or a “Sloan-Kettering of Air Science” to emerge from the smog and lead us into the clear. They know how to create solutions.
Science solutions require cognition, recognition, trained observation, testing, retesting, review, failure analysis, prayer and reruns of all the above. Try this on the smog and then cheer when it’s done.
Kudos to the mayor for his gallant try.
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's...
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs America to...
- Republicans and Democrats agree, in part, on...
- Everything you need to know about the...
- In our opinion: To be vigilant, relentless?
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 82
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern 58
- Letter: Utah's birthright 49
- Letter: Irreparable damage 49
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37
- Letter: Protected lands 36