Derek Petersen, Deseret News
WENDOVER — Police have identified the remains of a man who they believe was hit by multiple vehicles on I-80 Monday.
The man was identified as Christian Gutierrez, 20, of Wendover.
Police found the young man's remains Monday morning after receiving calls of what drivers thought was a dead animal on the road. Investigators were unsure of his identity or even gender at the time.
There were no leads as of Wednesday morning about why the man was in the road, according to Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce. Gutierrez's remains were sent to the medical examiner, but it is unclear whether they will be able to conduct a toxicology report.
As of Wednesday, investigators were looking into why Gutierrez was in the roadway which they believe may lead them to who may have hit the man.
"We haven't given up on this. We haven't closed it," Royce said.
Police are still not sure why Gutierrez was on the road Monday and do not know the details surrounding his death.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: whitevs7
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- Police arrest 4 suspected in 33 'pillowcase...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 17
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13