Utah Jazz to reach out to John Stockton in coach search, ESPN report says
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Jazz president Randy Rigby recently said the organization would reach out to 20 or more candidates, including "iconic players," in a wide-ranging search for its next head coach.
As has been speculated, Hall of Fame point guard John Stockton will be among the prospects who will soon receive a call from the Jazz to gauge interest in replacing Tyrone Corbin, ESPN.com reported.
"The assumption in coaching circles is that Stockton, who was fiercely private as a player and has remained so in retirement, would balk at the media demands on coaches as much as anything about the job," ESPN.com's Marc Stein wrote.
"But Stockton also is seen in some corners as a coaching natural after spending 19 seasons, all with the Jazz, as a peerless coach on the floor who ranks No. 1 in league history with 15,806 career assists."
Stockton recently helped scout prospects for the Jazz while attending the Portsmouth Invitational in April to watch his son, David, participate in that basketball tournament.
It'd likely take a mighty convincing sales pitch from the Jazz to lure Stockton away from his Spokane, Washington, home. The devout dad coaches his daughter's basketball team and his two school-aged children at home.
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey wouldn't talk about specific names when reached by the Deseret News and ESPN on Tuesday. He did say that Utah's management is "getting closer" to reaching out to potential candidates.
"We’re just in the middle of our diligence," Lindsey said. "I’m optimistic, and I think there's a good talent pool of coaches available."
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- 'In Football We Trust' puts a religious twist...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 65
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21
- Matt Carlino playing much the same at... 19
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 17