The Viewmont Vikings hit the road for their opening game with the Pleasant Grove Vikings on Tuesday afternoon and returned home with a 5-4 win over Region 4 champion Pleasant Grove.
Viewmont's Issac Evans pitched a complete game and earned the win in this first round of the high school state playoffs.
"This is only his third start of the season," Viewmont head coach Jeff Toler said. "He was one of our stronger players last year, and the rest of the players have total confidence in him. I told him that if he wanted to come out, he could. It was up to him, but he didn't want to leave the mound. He is a player!"
In the top of the fifth inning, Viewmont senior Davis Madsen scored the winning run on a home run over the left-field fence with fellow senior Will Andres on base, bringing the score to 5-1. Pleasant Grove scored three additional runs in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings but was shut down by terrific pitching and defense when the pressure was on. In those last innings, both teams left four runners on base. At the end, you could say that the Vikings won. In this case, it was the Viewmont Vikings.
Viewmont scored five runs on 12 hits with one error and four walks. Pleasant Grove scored four runs on 11 hits and one error with two walks.
Pleasant Grove will play game No. 2 on Wednesday on its home field against Hillcrest High School while Viewmont will play its second game, also on Wednesday, against Copper Hills. Copper Hills defeated Hillcrest 10-0 in their first-round game on Tuesday. Both games Wednesday will begin at 4 p.m.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and reports on Pleasant Grove High School varsity sports for Deseret Connect.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 69
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 37
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 33
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31