MILLCREEK — Police arrested two men they say robbed a Millcreek restaurant at gunpoint Tuesday and fled from authorities, ultimately hiding in a random home.
About 6:25 p.m., police were called out to an armed robbery at the Lugano Restaurant, 3364 S. 2300 East. Witnesses said two Polynesian men entered the restaurant, brandished a handgun and demanded cash from the hostess, according to Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The hostess opened the till, and the men pushed her out of the way, grabbed the cash drawer and ran out, Hoyal said.
A couple of employees chased the robbers into the parking lot and up to their vehicle, where one of the men brandished a shotgun, Hoyal said. The men then fled in a pickup truck and drove west on 3300 South.
An officer with the Unified Police Department was in the area and spotted a vehicle matching the description of the truck. As the officer turned around to pursue the vehicle, the truck pulled into a business near 2050 E. 3300 South, and the men fled on foot.
Another officer later saw two men matching the suspects' description walking. As the officer approached, the men fled north and then west on 3220 South, Hoyal said.
The officer chased them to 2060 E. 3220 South, where they disappeared behind a home. While the officer was waiting for other officers to arrive, one of the men came out into the front yard and was taken into custody without further incident, Hoyal said. The man was in possession of a handgun, police said.
Officers later found that the garage door of the home had been forced open. Police found the second man to be inside the garage, and a K-9 was used to clear the area. The man was taken into custody without incident.
Hoyal said both men were being interviewed Tuesday and will be booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated robbery, burglary, fleeing and other possible charges. Neither of the men was identified Tuesday evening.
The home where the two men ran to appeared to be chosen at random and was unoccupied at the time, Hoyal said.
"This case certainly had the propensity for somebody to get hurt, where you had two suspects who were both armed, committed armed robbery and then forced entry into a home," he said. "Fortunately, nobody was hurt and both suspects are in custody."
- Biskupski calls for resignations of nearly...
- Ex-EFY counselor sent to prison for sex with...
- Ogden mother charged in Weber County egging...
- Man who killed fiancee ordered to serve 1...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan Johnson...
- Feds still won't say which labs received...
- 11,000 gallons of gasoline, butane and...
- Biskupski calls for resignations of... 68
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 34
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 17
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Ogden mother charged in Weber County... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan... 9