MILLCREEK — Police arrested two men they say robbed a Millcreek restaurant at gunpoint Tuesday and fled from authorities, ultimately hiding in a random home.
About 6:25 p.m., police were called out to an armed robbery at the Lugano Restaurant, 3364 S. 2300 East. Witnesses said two Polynesian men entered the restaurant, brandished a handgun and demanded cash from the hostess, according to Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The hostess opened the till, and the men pushed her out of the way, grabbed the cash drawer and ran out, Hoyal said.
A couple of employees chased the robbers into the parking lot and up to their vehicle, where one of the men brandished a shotgun, Hoyal said. The men then fled in a pickup truck and drove west on 3300 South.
An officer with the Unified Police Department was in the area and spotted a vehicle matching the description of the truck. As the officer turned around to pursue the vehicle, the truck pulled into a business near 2050 E. 3300 South, and the men fled on foot.
Another officer later saw two men matching the suspects' description walking. As the officer approached, the men fled north and then west on 3220 South, Hoyal said.
The officer chased them to 2060 E. 3220 South, where they disappeared behind a home. While the officer was waiting for other officers to arrive, one of the men came out into the front yard and was taken into custody without further incident, Hoyal said. The man was in possession of a handgun, police said.
Officers later found that the garage door of the home had been forced open. Police found the second man to be inside the garage, and a K-9 was used to clear the area. The man was taken into custody without incident.
Hoyal said both men were being interviewed Tuesday and will be booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated robbery, burglary, fleeing and other possible charges. Neither of the men was identified Tuesday evening.
The home where the two men ran to appeared to be chosen at random and was unoccupied at the time, Hoyal said.
"This case certainly had the propensity for somebody to get hurt, where you had two suspects who were both armed, committed armed robbery and then forced entry into a home," he said. "Fortunately, nobody was hurt and both suspects are in custody."
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16