SALT LAKE CITY — A West Valley City man was charged Tuesday with shooting his debtor in the leg last month and for possession of drug paraphernalia.
Edgar Flores, 26, was charged in 3rd District Court with felony discharge of a firearm, a third-degree felony; and attempted aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony.
Flores was also charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute, a second-degree felony; possession or use of a controlled substance, a third-degree felony; possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a third-degree felony; and use or possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor.
The charges come after police say Flores met with the victim on April 29 outside a bar in South Salt Lake. The man apparently owed money to Flores, who demanded payment. Flores reached into his truck, pulled out a gun and pointed it at the man, telling him to get into the truck, police said.
The man refused, and Flores fired a shot in his direction, charges state. The man fled, and Flores chased him, shooting him in the leg, according to police.
The man required emergency medical treatment for a shattered femur, according to court documents.
On May 6, police went to Flores' home and saw him outside. When Flores saw the detectives, he ran back inside the house and fled out the back door, police said.
Upon searching a rental vehicle at the home, police found a handgun, $1,000 cash and drug paraphernalia.
Police eventually detained Flores and booked him into the Salt Lake County Jail on Tuesday.
Flores was awaiting trial charges in 2012 that included three counts of aggravated assault and six counts of felony discharge of a firearm. A search of court records indicates Flores pleaded guilty last year to failure to stop at the command of law enforcement and DUI.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Men and women: Understanding the wage gap is...
- Troopers identify Colorado man as victim of...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 16
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6