Crash in Carbon County construction zone injures 4, damages 7 vehicles
Utah Highway Patrol
EAST CARBON, Carbon County — A FedEx truck pulling three trailers overturned Tuesday on U.S. 6, touching off two crashes that involved five cars and another semitrailer.
About 11 a.m., the driver of a FedEx semitrailer approached a line of eastbound vehicles that had stopped for a flagger in a construction zone near the junction with state Road 123, according to Utah Highway Patrol Lt. David Bennion.
The FedEx driver "wasn't paying attention," realized too late that he wasn't going to be able to stop and tried to avoid a crash by going off the shoulder of the highway, the lieutenant said.
Despite the attempt, the truck hit four cars. The FedEx driver and another FedEx employee in the truck suffered minor injuries, as did two women in separate cars. All four were taken by ambulance to the hospital, Bennion said.
The driver of a second semitrailer traveling behind the FedEx truck tried to avoid the first pileup but hit a car that hadn't been involved in the initial crash, troopers said. No injuries were reported in that crash, Bennion said.
The driver of the FedEx truck was cited for failure to obey a flagger and driving too fast for conditions, the lieutenant said. The driver of the second truck was cited for following too close, he said.
The crash temporarily closed U.S. 6 until a detour route was established. All lanes of the highway were reopened about 3 p.m.
— Geoff Liesik
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of...
- Mirror Lake Shoreline Trail closed through...
- I-15 in Weber County to close Wednesday,...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 31
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 15