New QB commit Trent Hosick on BYU's interest: 'I can’t tell you how much that meant to me'
“I hate to point out just those three guys since every single person I met while on my trip were simply phenomenal people,” he said. “But those guys — I mean if they represent most everyone at BYU, and I’m certain they do, then that’s exactly the type of people I want to play with and attend school with.”
Being non-LDS, Hosick really has a great connection with Kurtz, who isn’t Mormon as well.
“Nick is a very special person and talking to him really helped me decide BYU was the place for me,” Hosick said. “He explained to me how comfortable he was with everything and how much he loved being there despite not being Mormon. That was a big thing for me.”
Hosick also took to BYU coach Mendenhall, whom he defines as a person with “great character who is focused on the most important things in life.”
Hosick will join BYU’s program in January after playing a year for Northeast Oklahoma Junior College. The reason for doing so involved a simple desire to get out on the field after redshirting last season with the Tigers.
“I haven’t played in a real football game for too long and I just feel I need to get out there and get that experience before getting to BYU,” he said. “I want to compete right away when I get to BYU, and I feel by playing one year in (junior college) will help with that.”
When he arrives at BYU he’ll bring a lot of the same attributes to the position as current starter Taysom Hill. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound athlete describes himself as a player who can beat a defense with his arm and with his legs.
“I see myself being somewhat similar to Taysom,” he said. “Taysom is an incredible player and I’m not certain if he’ll be around my first year simply because I think BYU is going to be really, really good this year. I think they’re going to do some amazing things. I think Taysom could easily make the jump, but no, I’m not certain and my decision to go to BYU really has nothing to do with that. If Taysom stays another year, then that’s fine. I just want to go to BYU.”
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last year and...
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in on NFL...
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's...
- Samuel Benson: Whatever happened to the...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises BYU...
- The state of Utah's all-time NFL undrafted...
- Morning links: Utah's Devontae Booker a...
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed after...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises... 91
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 52
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 47
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 43
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's... 43
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last... 42
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of... 36
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in... 24