New QB commit Trent Hosick on BYU's interest: 'I can’t tell you how much that meant to me'
“I hate to point out just those three guys since every single person I met while on my trip were simply phenomenal people,” he said. “But those guys — I mean if they represent most everyone at BYU, and I’m certain they do, then that’s exactly the type of people I want to play with and attend school with.”
Being non-LDS, Hosick really has a great connection with Kurtz, who isn’t Mormon as well.
“Nick is a very special person and talking to him really helped me decide BYU was the place for me,” Hosick said. “He explained to me how comfortable he was with everything and how much he loved being there despite not being Mormon. That was a big thing for me.”
Hosick also took to BYU coach Mendenhall, whom he defines as a person with “great character who is focused on the most important things in life.”
Hosick will join BYU’s program in January after playing a year for Northeast Oklahoma Junior College. The reason for doing so involved a simple desire to get out on the field after redshirting last season with the Tigers.
“I haven’t played in a real football game for too long and I just feel I need to get out there and get that experience before getting to BYU,” he said. “I want to compete right away when I get to BYU, and I feel by playing one year in (junior college) will help with that.”
When he arrives at BYU he’ll bring a lot of the same attributes to the position as current starter Taysom Hill. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound athlete describes himself as a player who can beat a defense with his arm and with his legs.
“I see myself being somewhat similar to Taysom,” he said. “Taysom is an incredible player and I’m not certain if he’ll be around my first year simply because I think BYU is going to be really, really good this year. I think they’re going to do some amazing things. I think Taysom could easily make the jump, but no, I’m not certain and my decision to go to BYU really has nothing to do with that. If Taysom stays another year, then that’s fine. I just want to go to BYU.”
- LDS faith helps keep things in perspective...
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- With Kyle Collinsworth out, BYU rebounds and...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- BYU guard Tyler Haws passes Danny Ainge for...
- Best in class: Breaking down the recruiting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 84
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 36
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 26
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 25