English fashion designer launches updated clerical line for women
CANTERBURY, England (RNS) — A London-trained fashion designer has launched a new range of clerical wear for women in the Church of England.
Camelle Daley, who founded the label House of ilona, says it’s high time for a shake-up among Anglican clergy who, like Roman Catholic priests, still wear traditional black shirt and collar.
Daley said she got the idea when a recently ordained friend said she wanted a new look for a new age.
Daley’s collection, now selling briskly, includes peplum dresses and tops, classic black dresses and a fitted green blouse with chiffon detail.
She has received hundreds of orders from women, who now make up one-third of the clergy in this country’s established church.
“Today, more than ever, women in ministry are complaining about the boxy, shapeless shirts on offer,” she said. “Why should a woman’s style go from stylish and elegant to manly and boxy when she is dressed in her clerical attire for ministering?”
The launch of her clerical clothes coincides with the 20th anniversary of the ordination of women as priests in the Church of England.
Within a year or so it’s likely that women will be consecrated as bishops.
“The style is not about flaunting the body,” added Daley. “It is about clothes that accommodate the female shape in cut and fit.”
For Daley, the latest line is a labor of love.
“I love designing,” she said. “This is my way of giving back to the women in ministry who have affected my life so greatly.”
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- Students' moving video on the Christmas truce...
- Christmas without Jesus
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 43
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 27
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 20
- Christmas without Jesus 19
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 14
- Visiting minister urges unity among... 10
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 8