English fashion designer launches updated clerical line for women
CANTERBURY, England (RNS) — A London-trained fashion designer has launched a new range of clerical wear for women in the Church of England.
Camelle Daley, who founded the label House of ilona, says it’s high time for a shake-up among Anglican clergy who, like Roman Catholic priests, still wear traditional black shirt and collar.
Daley said she got the idea when a recently ordained friend said she wanted a new look for a new age.
Daley’s collection, now selling briskly, includes peplum dresses and tops, classic black dresses and a fitted green blouse with chiffon detail.
She has received hundreds of orders from women, who now make up one-third of the clergy in this country’s established church.
“Today, more than ever, women in ministry are complaining about the boxy, shapeless shirts on offer,” she said. “Why should a woman’s style go from stylish and elegant to manly and boxy when she is dressed in her clerical attire for ministering?”
The launch of her clerical clothes coincides with the 20th anniversary of the ordination of women as priests in the Church of England.
Within a year or so it’s likely that women will be consecrated as bishops.
“The style is not about flaunting the body,” added Daley. “It is about clothes that accommodate the female shape in cut and fit.”
For Daley, the latest line is a labor of love.
“I love designing,” she said. “This is my way of giving back to the women in ministry who have affected my life so greatly.”
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Bishop Gérald Caussé announced...
- Major LDS growth in Africa unaffected by...
- Leading Jordanian Muslim and Christian...
- Provo's Waffle Love made time for church...
- LDS YouTube family, the Shaytards, featured...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from... 56
- Lois M. Collins: The 'death' of faith... 52
- Sunday School leader apologizes for... 40
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Defending the Faith: Perhaps the... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- The spiritual revolution taking place... 21
- Leading Jordanian Muslim and Christian... 14