English fashion designer launches updated clerical line for women
CANTERBURY, England (RNS) — A London-trained fashion designer has launched a new range of clerical wear for women in the Church of England.
Camelle Daley, who founded the label House of ilona, says it’s high time for a shake-up among Anglican clergy who, like Roman Catholic priests, still wear traditional black shirt and collar.
Daley said she got the idea when a recently ordained friend said she wanted a new look for a new age.
Daley’s collection, now selling briskly, includes peplum dresses and tops, classic black dresses and a fitted green blouse with chiffon detail.
She has received hundreds of orders from women, who now make up one-third of the clergy in this country’s established church.
“Today, more than ever, women in ministry are complaining about the boxy, shapeless shirts on offer,” she said. “Why should a woman’s style go from stylish and elegant to manly and boxy when she is dressed in her clerical attire for ministering?”
The launch of her clerical clothes coincides with the 20th anniversary of the ordination of women as priests in the Church of England.
Within a year or so it’s likely that women will be consecrated as bishops.
“The style is not about flaunting the body,” added Daley. “It is about clothes that accommodate the female shape in cut and fit.”
For Daley, the latest line is a labor of love.
“I love designing,” she said. “This is my way of giving back to the women in ministry who have affected my life so greatly.”
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Anything for Auni: A community rallies to...
- Changing fields: Returned missionary college...
- Sheri Dew and Noelle Pikus-Pace arm wrestle...
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on past...
- Defending the Faith: Some things are more...
- LDS Church releases video about suicide...
- David Archuleta launches 'Glorious' video...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 126
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 116
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on... 56
- Defending the Faith: Some things are... 40
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 31
- California orders churches, others to... 28
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious... 13
- LDS Church releases video about suicide... 11