BYU baseball: BYU closes its season with final four baseball games this week
Some goals were not realized by BYU’s baseball team, but there are still a couple within reach as it closes the season this week with four games.
First up for the Cougars (19-30 overall, 9-15 in West Coast Conference) is a Tuesday rematch at Utah (15-30, 4-20 in Pac-12). Tuesday’s game, at 7 p.m. MDT, will be televised live by the Pac-12 Network, pitting BYU senior right-hander Desmond Poulson (4-5, 4.44) against lefty Tanner Banks (2-6, 6.35).
The Cougars won the first two of four games against Utah, building up a 34-16 lead in the run differential which could play a factor in determining the winner of the Deseret First Duel baseball portion.
“As we go into the last week of the season our one focus as a team is to play each game with passion and intensity,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said. “We haven't had the season we wanted to have, nor did we meet the goals we set as a team, but we still have a huge game at Utah on Tuesday and three league games at Portland. We will play hard until the season is over.”
Jeff Barker (5-5, 4.23) and Kolton Mahoney (5-6, 4.37) will be BYU’s starters at Portland in games on Thursday and Friday at 3 p.m. PDT. Friday’s game will be streamed live on TheW.tv. Saturday’s BYU starter is TBA.
Rarely has BYU been able to end its season on a winning note due to post-season play, which eluded the Cougars this year.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says it...
- BYU basketball officially adds transfer guard...
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to transfer to UVU
- College football countdown No. 36: BYU...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 56
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 47
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 18
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 14