Man helps burglar find keys to car, police say

Published: Monday, May 12 2014 10:40 p.m. MDT

A Kaysville man was charged Monday with robbing several people at gunpoint in December.


Enlarge photo»

SALT LAKE CITY — A Kaysville man was charged Monday with robbing several people at gunpoint in December.

Timothy Chadd Ellis, 34, was charged in 3rd District Court with three counts of aggravated kidnapping, two counts of aggravated robbery, and one count of aggravated burglary — all first-degree felonies.

On Dec. 27, a man went to his parents' unoccupied home in Sandy to check on the property. Upon entering, he found the home in disarray and heard noise coming from the furnace room. When he looked in the room, he saw a man, later identified as Ellis, who then pointed a gun at him and chased him around the house, according to charging documents.

Ellis caught up with the man in the garage, where he pointed his pistol at him and demanded the money in his wallet, the charges state.

When Ellis couldn't find the keys to his car, he spent more than an hour looking through the house with the man's help, though Ellis kept his handgun pointed at the man the whole time, according to police. The man said Ellis was carrying what appeared to be a black semiautomatic pistol and handcuffs.

Charges state that after Ellis found his keys, he told the man he "felt bad" about what he had done, and that he wasn't going to take his "stuff," but that he would keep the cash he'd found in the home.

Before Ellis left, a woman and child arrived at the home. Ellis pointed his gun at both of them, forcing the woman out of the car while yelling, "Unified Police Department! Unified Police Department!" according to the charges. He then took the cellphones belonging to the man and woman and drove away.

Detectives with Unified police later found a beer can in the home that did not belong to the family. The beer can was submitted to a DNA test lab, which confirmed a match with Ellis last month.

Police also found a Wal-Mart receipt at the home near where Ellis had parked his car. Detectives obtained Wal-Mart surveillance footage at the time of the purchase showing two men making a transaction and leaving in a car matching the description of Ellis' Honda Accord.

Detectives learned that Ellis had fled from police on Dec. 12 in the Accord, which was later impounded on Feb. 20. While conducting an inventory of the car, police recovered a semiautomatic Airsoft pistol and a pair of handcuffs.

A warrant for Ellis' arrest was served with Monday's charges.

A search of court records indicates Ellis pleaded guilty to theft by receiving stolen property in 2005 and attempted burglary of a vehicle in 2000.


Get The Deseret News Everywhere