Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utahns can skip breakfast if they ride their bikes Tuesday to the annual Bike to Work Day rally.
In celebration of National Bike Month, the Bike to Work Day rally will begin at 7:30 a.m. in the Tracy Aviary parking lot at Liberty Park and end at the Salt Lake City-County Building. The event will include include refreshments, music and prizes.
The purpose of Bike to Work Day is to increase the number of bicycle commuters and highlight Salt Lake County and Utah's biker accessibility.
"I think it's an opportunity for people to consider the idea that they might bike to work," said Becka Roolf, Salt Lake City's bicycle and pedestrian coordinator. "There is an environmental and air quality component. There is also a considerable human heath component both as a culture and individuals."
Roolf said that a 20-year bikeway network in downtown Salt Lake City is in the developmental and planning stages. Residents should expect a new bike lane on 300 South to be completed this fall.
The ride and rally will take place on bike routes and roadsides, with police officers as escorts.
Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker said he's excited for the city's future biking plans.
“We have many miles of new bicycle-friendly thoroughfares in Salt Lake City and many more on the way," Becker said. "And I look forward to seeing my fellow residents out on the road."
All Salt Lake County residents are invited to participate in Tuesday morning's ride, which will cover 18 city blocks. Cyclists will make stops at the Salt Lake County Government Center, 2001 S. State, and South Salt Lake City Hall, 220 E. Morris Ave., before reaching the Salt Lake City-County Building, 451 S. State.
Volunteers from the county’s Bicycle Ambassador Program and Salt Lake County Bicycle Advisory Committee will be available to answer questions during the event.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 111
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 28
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20