SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has appointed Paul Dame and Michael Leavitt as judges on the 5th District Juvenile Court. The 5th District includes Beaver, Iron and Washington counties.
Dame has served as a Washington County Justice Court judge in St. George since 2004, handling misdemeanor criminal cases, felony and misdemeanor search warrants, and probable cause bail reviews. He also worked as the St. George city prosecutor and then as chief deputy Washington County prosecutor. Dame received his Juris Doctor in 1990 from BYU.
Leavitt has served as an attorney at Durham Jones & Pinegar since 2002 and has practiced commercial and business litigation, property and domestic disputes, collections and representation of creditors in bankruptcy. He also has taught paralegal skills at Dixie State College. Leavitt graduated from the University of Idaho College of Law with a Juris Doctor in 2002.
Dame fills the vacancy created by the retirement of Judge Hans Chamberlain on May 1. Leavitt fills the vacancy created by the resignation, due to personal health concerns, of Judge Karla Staheli on Feb. 1.
The governor's appointments are subject to confirmation by the Utah Senate.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26