SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has appointed Paul Dame and Michael Leavitt as judges on the 5th District Juvenile Court. The 5th District includes Beaver, Iron and Washington counties.
Dame has served as a Washington County Justice Court judge in St. George since 2004, handling misdemeanor criminal cases, felony and misdemeanor search warrants, and probable cause bail reviews. He also worked as the St. George city prosecutor and then as chief deputy Washington County prosecutor. Dame received his Juris Doctor in 1990 from BYU.
Leavitt has served as an attorney at Durham Jones & Pinegar since 2002 and has practiced commercial and business litigation, property and domestic disputes, collections and representation of creditors in bankruptcy. He also has taught paralegal skills at Dixie State College. Leavitt graduated from the University of Idaho College of Law with a Juris Doctor in 2002.
Dame fills the vacancy created by the retirement of Judge Hans Chamberlain on May 1. Leavitt fills the vacancy created by the resignation, due to personal health concerns, of Judge Karla Staheli on Feb. 1.
The governor's appointments are subject to confirmation by the Utah Senate.
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Draper police step in for Santa after home is...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9