SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has appointed Paul Dame and Michael Leavitt as judges on the 5th District Juvenile Court. The 5th District includes Beaver, Iron and Washington counties.
Dame has served as a Washington County Justice Court judge in St. George since 2004, handling misdemeanor criminal cases, felony and misdemeanor search warrants, and probable cause bail reviews. He also worked as the St. George city prosecutor and then as chief deputy Washington County prosecutor. Dame received his Juris Doctor in 1990 from BYU.
Leavitt has served as an attorney at Durham Jones & Pinegar since 2002 and has practiced commercial and business litigation, property and domestic disputes, collections and representation of creditors in bankruptcy. He also has taught paralegal skills at Dixie State College. Leavitt graduated from the University of Idaho College of Law with a Juris Doctor in 2002.
Dame fills the vacancy created by the retirement of Judge Hans Chamberlain on May 1. Leavitt fills the vacancy created by the resignation, due to personal health concerns, of Judge Karla Staheli on Feb. 1.
The governor's appointments are subject to confirmation by the Utah Senate.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17