Police: Man arrested in fatal Draper crash had 2 altercations just before
Ray Boone, Deseret News
DRAPER — A man accused of causing a fatal traffic accident during an alleged drunken rampage was booked into jail over the weekend.
Bill Robert Thompson, 44, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of automobile homicide, aggravated assault, domestic assault, two counts of domestic violence in front of children, and eight counts of DUI causing serious bodily injury.
Thompson is accused of running a red light at on Lone Peak Parkway at 12300 South and causing a seven-car accident. Susan Madsen, 43, was struck and killed.
Prior to the fatal accident, Thompson was involved in a physical altercation with his roommate. Thompson "hit the roommate multiple times in the face with an open hand while the roommate was holding Bill's son," according to a Salt Lake County Jail report. Others who tried to help were also assaulted, the report states.
Thompson eventually left in his Chevy pickup truck and was seen by witnesses speeding down I-15.
"The white Chevy was swerving all over the roadway," the report states.
The truck got off at Bangerter Highway and went onto Pony Express Road. Another driver, looking for RC Willey, followed, the report states. When the pickup got to the end of the dead end road on Pony Express, the other driver stopped to give Thompson room to turn around.
"At that time the Chevy drove towards the driver's side of the victim's vehicle. The Chevy got approximately 1 foot away from the victim's vehicle and then continued forward colliding with the victim vehicle," the report states.
The frightened driver tried to escape by climbing out the passenger door. He told police that Thompson "began laughing and staring (him) down."
Thompson drove off at a high rate of speed, and was involved in the fatal collision just two minutes later.
Thompson, who was charged in Draper Justice Court with another traffic related offense in January, was also convicted of domestic violence and simple assault in 2006, according to court records.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- 'To this day, I don't believe I did it': War...
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to rally...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 150
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 51
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 44
- Police release names of officers... 28
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 25
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 20
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18