Police: Man arrested in fatal Draper crash had 2 altercations just before
Ray Boone, Deseret News
DRAPER — A man accused of causing a fatal traffic accident during an alleged drunken rampage was booked into jail over the weekend.
Bill Robert Thompson, 44, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of automobile homicide, aggravated assault, domestic assault, two counts of domestic violence in front of children, and eight counts of DUI causing serious bodily injury.
Thompson is accused of running a red light at on Lone Peak Parkway at 12300 South and causing a seven-car accident. Susan Madsen, 43, was struck and killed.
Prior to the fatal accident, Thompson was involved in a physical altercation with his roommate. Thompson "hit the roommate multiple times in the face with an open hand while the roommate was holding Bill's son," according to a Salt Lake County Jail report. Others who tried to help were also assaulted, the report states.
Thompson eventually left in his Chevy pickup truck and was seen by witnesses speeding down I-15.
"The white Chevy was swerving all over the roadway," the report states.
The truck got off at Bangerter Highway and went onto Pony Express Road. Another driver, looking for RC Willey, followed, the report states. When the pickup got to the end of the dead end road on Pony Express, the other driver stopped to give Thompson room to turn around.
"At that time the Chevy drove towards the driver's side of the victim's vehicle. The Chevy got approximately 1 foot away from the victim's vehicle and then continued forward colliding with the victim vehicle," the report states.
The frightened driver tried to escape by climbing out the passenger door. He told police that Thompson "began laughing and staring (him) down."
Thompson drove off at a high rate of speed, and was involved in the fatal collision just two minutes later.
Thompson, who was charged in Draper Justice Court with another traffic related offense in January, was also convicted of domestic violence and simple assault in 2006, according to court records.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12