Balancing act: Study: Cutting work-family conflict helps workers, companies
However, I wouldn't expect them to work more hours in exchange for toiling away from Cubeville. That would defeat the purpose of allowing a flexible schedule in the first place.
And according to the study, the positive effects of better balance go beyond schedule control and time adequacy to physical health.
“Work-family conflict can wreak havoc with employees’ family lives and also affect their health,” Rosalind King of the Population Dynamics Branch at the National Institutes of Health said in the press release.
“The researchers have shown that by restructuring work practice to focus on results achieved and providing supervisors with an instructional program to improve their sensitivity to employees’ after-work demands, they can reduce that stress and improve employees’ family time.”
I couldn't agree more, and I'm glad to see research that supports what has always felt true to me.
I'll share other studies in the weeks and months to come. But for now, I'm interested to hear your reactions to this research. Do you believe a corporate program to reduce work-family conflict would help you build a more balanced life? How important would supervisor training and support be to the success of such a program? Do you think these initiatives are likely to grow more common in the years to come?
Leave a comment online or send me an email with your ideas, and I'll use some of them when I revisit this issue in a future column.
- 15 jobs that are safe from the robot takeover
- Down payment for love: How to think about the...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common Core,...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- 10 jobs you can get right now
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid covering the...
- 6 financial moves to prevent sleepless nights
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13
- It's about time the government... 12
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 10
- Cantwell targets small business loan... 4
- Applications for US unemployment aid... 4
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 3
- Down payment for love: How to think... 2