But the kids listened — and two years ago, two of them, Caroline and Katy, decided to run with his dream.
Caroline was the driving force. She started working at a restaurant in nearby Fairview when she was 14 years old and through the years learned all aspects of the industry. She talked Katy into partnering with her on the grounds that they were a) Gerold’s daughters, b) best friends and c) they could walk to work.
The deal was clinched when they talked Gerold and Christa, who can also walk to the café, into helping with the cooking. Oma and Opa make the bread and the soup, among other things.
Caroline’s philosophy is, essentially, if you cook it sensationally, they will come.
That and include bacon in virtually everything.
“Vitamin B, we call it,” she says.
Whatever their recipe, it’s working. Das Café is open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday, and it’s often hard to find a table at the peak of the breakfast and lunch hours.
And on Saturdays, it can be a circus. Car clubs and motorcycle clubs have discovered the unexpected slice of Germany in central Utah and flock to Spring City in droves.
Caroline sums up her reaction in two words: “Surprised and overwhelmed.”
She's never worked so hard, or been so successful.
“No one ever said, ‘Oh, that’s a good idea,’ ” she remembers. “Nobody. This thing we’re doing, it wasn’t supposed to work.”
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Mondays. Email: email@example.com
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16