But the kids listened — and two years ago, two of them, Caroline and Katy, decided to run with his dream.
Caroline was the driving force. She started working at a restaurant in nearby Fairview when she was 14 years old and through the years learned all aspects of the industry. She talked Katy into partnering with her on the grounds that they were a) Gerold’s daughters, b) best friends and c) they could walk to work.
The deal was clinched when they talked Gerold and Christa, who can also walk to the café, into helping with the cooking. Oma and Opa make the bread and the soup, among other things.
Caroline’s philosophy is, essentially, if you cook it sensationally, they will come.
That and include bacon in virtually everything.
“Vitamin B, we call it,” she says.
Whatever their recipe, it’s working. Das Café is open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday, and it’s often hard to find a table at the peak of the breakfast and lunch hours.
And on Saturdays, it can be a circus. Car clubs and motorcycle clubs have discovered the unexpected slice of Germany in central Utah and flock to Spring City in droves.
Caroline sums up her reaction in two words: “Surprised and overwhelmed.”
She's never worked so hard, or been so successful.
“No one ever said, ‘Oh, that’s a good idea,’ ” she remembers. “Nobody. This thing we’re doing, it wasn’t supposed to work.”
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Mondays. Email: email@example.com
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- About Utah: Pedal power at the market
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 11