But the kids listened — and two years ago, two of them, Caroline and Katy, decided to run with his dream.
Caroline was the driving force. She started working at a restaurant in nearby Fairview when she was 14 years old and through the years learned all aspects of the industry. She talked Katy into partnering with her on the grounds that they were a) Gerold’s daughters, b) best friends and c) they could walk to work.
The deal was clinched when they talked Gerold and Christa, who can also walk to the café, into helping with the cooking. Oma and Opa make the bread and the soup, among other things.
Caroline’s philosophy is, essentially, if you cook it sensationally, they will come.
That and include bacon in virtually everything.
“Vitamin B, we call it,” she says.
Whatever their recipe, it’s working. Das Café is open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday, and it’s often hard to find a table at the peak of the breakfast and lunch hours.
And on Saturdays, it can be a circus. Car clubs and motorcycle clubs have discovered the unexpected slice of Germany in central Utah and flock to Spring City in droves.
Caroline sums up her reaction in two words: “Surprised and overwhelmed.”
She's never worked so hard, or been so successful.
“No one ever said, ‘Oh, that’s a good idea,’ ” she remembers. “Nobody. This thing we’re doing, it wasn’t supposed to work.”
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Mondays. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Key witness in criminal cases against...
- Vernal woman takes plea deal in child abuse case
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes...
- Federal judge: Tribal court can't hear...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Chances of a 'Speaker Chaffetz' may have just...
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 43
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 39
- Chances of a 'Speaker Chaffetz' may... 25
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 20
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 16