Tom Smart, Deseret News
Girls golf state titles will be up for grabs across the state this week, and with only one of five returning medalists there will be plenty of uncertainty.
The 5A state tournament takes place at Bountiful Ridge on Monday, with the 2A tourney following on Tuesday at Cove View Golf Course in Richfield.
Wednesday features the 4A state tournament at East Bay Golf Course in Provo and the 1A tourney at Southgate Golf Course in St. George. The 3A tourney is the last of the week on Thursday at Mountain View Golf Course in West Jordan.
Bingham is the reigning 5A state champ after edging Davis by one point a year ago.
Sirene Blair was a four-time medalist for Bingham, but without her the Miners need a new star to emerge. Sam Crawford could be that star as she tied for second a year ago with Davis’ Jessica Sloot, who’s also back this year.
Alta’s Madi Rooker is another golfer who figures to be in medalist contention.
Box Elder is the defending 4A state champ, and with a pair of returning top 10 finishers a year ago — Mallary Marx and Bailey Craynor — the Bees could be lifting the trophy again this Wednesday. Orem’s McKenzie Maughn finished third a year ago and is the top returning finisher.
Desert Hills is the heavy favorite in 3A with its top two golfers returning from last year. Katie Perkins won 3A medalist honors a year ago after shooting a 72, while teammate Megan Welch finished second with a 74.
The Thunder have won four straight 3A titles.
Richfield is the defending 2A champ, but this year’s tourney figures to be wide open after the two-time champion Wildcats graduated their top golfers from a year ago.
Rowland Hall’s Caity Kwun and Millard’s Marissa Louder are the top returning finishers from 2013.
St. Joseph won the inaugural 1A girls golf state championship last year, and with Mady White and Kristen Carney back this season, they’re the clear-cut favorite to repeat in St. George this week.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48