USU football: Eric Schultz invited to Seattle Seahawks rookie mini-camp
Darryl Bush, AP
Utah State all-conference offensive tackle Eric Schultz has been invited to the Seattle Seahawks rookie mini-camp, it was announced Saturday.
Schultz becomes the ninth Utah State football player from the 2013 Mountain West Conference Mountain Division and San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl championship team to move on to the NFL as safety Maurice Alexander was drafted by the St. Louis Rams in the fourth round (110th pick) and cornerback Nevin Lawson was also drafted in the fourth round (133rd pick) by the Detroit Lions. Center Tyler Larsen (Miami Dolphins), tight end D.J. Tialavea (Jacksonville Jaguars), nose guard AJ Pataiali’i (Baltimore Ravens), linebacker Jake Doughty (Green Bay Packers), cornerback Tay Glover-Wright (Atlanta Falcons) and running back Joey DeMartino (Kansas City Chiefs) signed free agent contracts.
Schultz, a 6-foot-4, 300-pounder from Connell, Washington (Connell High School), earned honorable mention all-Mountain West honors from the league’s coaches following his senior season as he started all 14 games at offensive tackle.
During his senior season, Schultz ranked second on the team with an overall performance grade of 87 percent, including 79 percent in technique and 90 percent in effort as he carried out the right assignment 97 percent of the time, including seven games where he graded out at a perfect 100 percent. In all, Schultz graded out above 90 percent four times in total performance, above 82 percent 12 times in effort and above 75 percent 10 times in technique, while posting 44.0 knockdowns.
Schultz, who was a four-time academic all-conference honoree, finished his Utah State career starting 46 consecutive games. In all, he was part of the winningest class in school history with 31 victories.
Fans can follow the Aggie football program on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, while Aggie fans can also follow the Utah State athletic program on Twitter and Facebook.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- College football countdown No. 37: Utah State...
- 4 Utah State linemen end up on Preseason...
- USU football: Utah State picked to finish...
- Utah State men's basketball team announces...
- USU basketball: Grayson Moore named to NABC...
- USU volleyball: Utah State earns AVCA Team...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20