Leading 7-4 and needing three outs for the title, UVU ran into some trouble when Staci Rodriguez led off with a home run for the Aggies. A groundout later, Fiana Finau singled to bring the tying run to the plate. The base hit prompted Summers' return to the circle in an attempt to record the final two outs. Summers induced a fly out to right field, but Finau moved up on the play and came in to score on a wild pitch on the ensuing at-bat. But after surrendering a walk to bring the go-ahead run to the plate, Summers finished what she started when she got Malena Padilla to ground out to shortstop to seal the championship.
Summers finished the tournament 3-0 with a save to go along with a 1.62 ERA. For her efforts, she was named the WAC Tournament MVP and joined teammates Lovell, Erin Romero and Vansway on the All-Tournament team.
"I came into the tournament wanting to make a statement," Summers said after taking MVP honors. "I didn't have the best regular season, but my goal was to make everyone know my name by the end of the year. I just wanted to go out and perform — not only for myself but for my fellow seniors and the team."
Palmers said she was proud of Summers and hopes she keeps up this kind of play.
"Josi is very good and she just waited all year to show us her absolute A game," she said. "I'm hoping she'll continue on this path as we move forward into Regionals."
The Wolverines will now represent the WAC at the NCAA Regionals in their first season in the league. UVU, which came into the tournament as the fourth seed, claimed the title with wins over five-seed Bakersfield and two-seed Kansas City, as well as two victories over top-seeded NM State.
Kellen Hiser is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19