USU football: D.J. Tialavea signs free agent contract with Jacksonville Jaguars
Matt Gade, Deseret News
Utah State tight end D.J. Tialavea signed a free agent contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, it was announced Saturday.
Tialavea becomes the fourth Utah State football player from the 2013 Mountain Division and San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl championship team to move on to the NFL as safety Maurice Alexander was drafted by the St. Louis Rams in the fourth round (110th pick) and cornerback Nevin Lawson was also drafted in the fourth round (133rd pick) by the Detroit Lions, while center Tyler Larsen signed a free agent contract with the Miami Dolphins.
Tialavea, a 6-foot-4, 260-pound tight end from West Jordan, Utah (West Jordan High School), played in the first six games of the 2013 season, including four starts, before missing the remainder of the year with an injury. Tialavea finished his senior season with 17 receptions for 93 yards (5.5 ypr) and three touchdowns, as he ranked tied for third on the team in touchdowns and sixth in receptions. As a senior, Tialavea caught a career-high four passes against BYU and had a career-best two touchdown receptions against Weber State as he was named an honorable mention National Tight End of the Week by College Football Performance Awards. Tialavea also had a 3-yard touchdown reception at San José State as a senior.
For his career, Tialavea played in 40 games for Utah State, making 17 starts, and caught 30 passes for 198 yards (6.6 ypr) with five touchdowns.
In all, Tialavea was part of the winningest class in school history with 31 victories.
Fans can follow the Aggie football program on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Aggie fans can also follow the Utah State athletic program on Twitter and Facebook.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 63
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28