Book review: 'The Lost Teachings of Jesus on the Sacred Place of Women' uses manuscripts claimed to have Christ's words
"THE LOST TEACHINGS OF JESUS ON THE SACRED PLACE OF WOMEN," by Alonzo L. Gaskill, Cedar Fort, $14.99, 74 pages (nf)
In the late 1880s, a Russian scholar named Nicholas Notovitch visited a Buddhist monastery in India to learn the truth about a manuscript that purportedly contained lost teachings of Jesus Christ. His findings were controversial and the writings he claimed to discover continue to invite speculation today.
In his book "The Lost Teachings of Jesus on the Sacred Place of Women," Alonzo L. Gaskill uses verses from the manuscript to compare the teachings of Christ with words found in modern scripture and spoken by living prophets. Many of the basic principles of the power of womanhood are included in the verses quoted by the author. For example, one verse reads "Whosoever respecteth not his mother, the most sacred being after his God, is unworthy of the name of son."
While these words do not appear in any of the biblical or modern scriptures used by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the doctrinal message rings true to the teachings of the Savior. Gaskill has been careful to attach legitimate cross-references from scriptures and prophetic sources that substantiate the message of the verses he quotes.
There has been some controversy over the use of the manuscript to represent the actual words of Jesus, but it is clear from what Gaskill states that he is representing this message as possible-but-unproven preaching from the Savior. Readers can enjoy the message pertaining to the power and glory of womanhood but should reserve judgment on the veracity of the documents used as the core of the message until more is known.
Gaskill is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is a professor at Brigham Young University.
- LDS couple with triplets expecting twins:...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Partially paralyzed LDS runner completes...
- 'Meet the Mormons' an example of church...
- New Harmony: Church questions? I have a dozen
- Polygamy essays provide information about...
- Wright Words: Are you an odd duck?
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- Polygamy essays provide information... 69
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 60
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 29
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 21
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Using faith... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- New Harmony: Church questions? I have a... 15
- 'Meet the Mormons' an example of church... 7