Charles Sykes, Associated Press
Vladimir Putin insists he has pulled Russian troops away from the border with Ukraine. All that remains, apparently, are realistic cardboard cutouts of thousands of Russian troops.
Putin also told Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine to stop their efforts to hold a referendum on secession, after which they vowed to proceed, anyway. Perhaps last week was “opposite week” in Russia.
President Obama is ready to set emission limits on power plants in response to global warming. In Washington, this is known as, “Democratic carbon footprint reduction.” With the new rules sure to cost energy jobs in key election states, Democrats may not have to send many people on polluting airplanes to Washington in January.
Meanwhile, the administration issued a new Global Warming report that, judging by the reaction in Washington, blames the planet’s imminent destruction on politics.
The last thing a politician wants to ask at a town hall meeting these days? “Is it warm in here, or is it just me?”
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford apparently has a new re-election slogan: “Don’t worry, I’ll be out of drug rehab by November.”
“I am working out every day and I am learning about myself, my past and things like that,” Ford told the Sun. In other words, he has a lot in common with voters.
Late night talk show hosts, meanwhile, already are cutting their budgets, just in case Ford’s rehabilitation works.
Last week the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the practice of holding prayers before the start of local government meetings, which is a big deal for the three people in each city who regularly attend such things.
Some people worry governments will establish an official religion by allowing prayers. Given the state of apathy that exists about most government meetings and local elections these days, it’s a wonder some governments can establish an official government.
Etihad Airways, a carrier in the Middle East, plans to offer limited onboard suites complete with butlers. If that ever caught on in this country, you could just imagine the jostling that would go on among passengers holding “A” boarding passes.
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- In our opinion: Fred Adams' Shakespeare...
- About Utah: How this Utahn turned a chance...
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies and...
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift...
- My view: Drafting women a threat to religious...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 46
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 40
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 30
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 30
- Letter: Acting presidential 30
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22
- In our opinion: Politics and ISIS 21