Hugh Carey, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Westminster College held a celebration in honor of the school’s Olympians.
The school had 23 students compete in the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi — 10 percent of Team USA.
“We really didn't get to cheer them on in person until today,” Westminster President Brian Levin-Stankevich said Friday. “It's a nice homecoming. It's a nice way for us to thank them for all they've done for the college’s reputation, but also for them to interact with the community that's been supporting them for all these months.”
Four students reached the medals podium. Maddie Bowman won the inaugural gold medal in the women’s ski halfpipe.
“It’s so cool to be here to celebrate with all the athletes from my school,” Bowman said. “We have a great community here already, and to see all your friends and go to school with them and experience things outside of just sports is great. And Westminster just puts on such a good party.”
Devin Logan won a silver medal in the debut of slopestyle skiing.
“It still doesn't feel real,” Logan said. “Everyone still wants to see it and touch it, and that's the best part because I get to come home and share it with everyone.”
When it comes to her education, Logan said, she wouldn’t want to be anywhere but Westminster.
“It's really nice to be a part of a college that accommodates athletes that are in similar positions as myself, so they're aware of what's going on and very flexible and willing to help you succeed in your athleticism and also in education,” she said.
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 33
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 16
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9