Hugh Carey, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Westminster College held a celebration in honor of the school’s Olympians.
The school had 23 students compete in the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi — 10 percent of Team USA.
“We really didn't get to cheer them on in person until today,” Westminster President Brian Levin-Stankevich said Friday. “It's a nice homecoming. It's a nice way for us to thank them for all they've done for the college’s reputation, but also for them to interact with the community that's been supporting them for all these months.”
Four students reached the medals podium. Maddie Bowman won the inaugural gold medal in the women’s ski halfpipe.
“It’s so cool to be here to celebrate with all the athletes from my school,” Bowman said. “We have a great community here already, and to see all your friends and go to school with them and experience things outside of just sports is great. And Westminster just puts on such a good party.”
Devin Logan won a silver medal in the debut of slopestyle skiing.
“It still doesn't feel real,” Logan said. “Everyone still wants to see it and touch it, and that's the best part because I get to come home and share it with everyone.”
When it comes to her education, Logan said, she wouldn’t want to be anywhere but Westminster.
“It's really nice to be a part of a college that accommodates athletes that are in similar positions as myself, so they're aware of what's going on and very flexible and willing to help you succeed in your athleticism and also in education,” she said.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Police: Body of man missing since March found
- Oldest giraffe in North America dies at Hogle...
- Zion's Hidden Canyon Trail to close for...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 97
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 32
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9