Book review: 'What is Hidden' is a charming twist on a classic fairy tale
"WHAT IS HIDDEN," by Lauren Skidmore, Cedar Fort, $16.99, 288 pages (f) (ages 12 and up)
In Venesia, masks are integral to society; they determine a person's rank and identity. Evie, a talented young mask maker, knows this more than anyone. But when an infamous bandit, dubbed the Chameleon, steals her masks and destroys her home, Evie is forced to hide in the palace as a server in the novel "What is Hidden."
But she's not going to hide from the Chameleon forever — she's no damsel in distress, waiting to be rescued from unfortunate circumstances. Her plan is to keep a wary eye out for his inevitable return so she can expose him and reclaim her life. Evie soon realizes that it's not just the Chameleon who hides his true identity behind a mask, though — even those she thinks she knows aren't who they seem.
Lauren Skidmore's "What Is Hidden" is an enchanting story of friendship, romance and loyalty, complete with royal balls and a prince in disguise. While there are several nods to the classic fairy tale "Cinderella" throughout, "What is Hidden" is a strong story all on its own. Rather than spending the whole book checking off the parallels between this story and the original "Cinderella," readers can enjoy the story in its own right, recognizing a few "Cinderella" tidbits as they go.
While there are some brief combat scenes, there is no profanity or sexual innuendo in this book.
"What is Hidden" is Skidmore's first novel. Skidmore is a graduate of Brigham Young University, where she earned a bachelor's in English teaching with an emphasis in teaching English as a second language and Japanese, and she lives in Utah.
If you go ...
What: Lauren Skidmore book signing
When: Tuesday, May 13, 7 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Note: Places in the signing line are reserved for those who purchase a copy of the featured book from The King's English.
Angela Carter is a writer and editor. When she's not absorbed in words, she enjoys going on walks and playing the piano. She blogs at palydudeman.blogspot.com.
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Study: Action-packed TV might make you snack...
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 8
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its... 2
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1