Draper man accused of causing fatal 7-car wreck to be arrested, police say
Ray Boone, Deseret News
DRAPER — Police say the man accused of causing a multiple-vehicle crash that killed a Draper woman was driving under the influence and fleeing from a domestic dispute.
Police say Bill Robert Thompson, 44, had been involved in a domestic dispute at his Draper home about 6:15 p.m. He left the home before police arrived and, about 15 minutes later, ran a red light at 12300 South and hit another vehicle.
The other driver, 43-year-old Susan Madsen, was killed in the crash and a child in her vehicle was critically injured.
Seven vehicles in all were involved in the crash and four additional people were taken to area hospitals with minor injuries.
Thompson remained hospitalized Friday in fair condition, Draper Police Sgt. Chad Carpenter said. Upon his release he will be booked into jail.
Police also believe Thompson intentionally "bumped" his truck into another vehicle and sped away just prior to running the light at 12300 South.
Thompson will be arrested for investigation of vehicular homicide, driving under the influence, reckless driving, aggravated assault, domestic violence assault and domestic assault in the presence of a child.
A search of court records revealed a long history of traffic citations for Thompson.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 43
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 20
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 16
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12