NFL draft, day 2: When will players with Utah ties be selected?
Michael Conroy, AP
Players with Utah ties are still waiting to be selected after the first 32 picks went off the board in last night's first round of the NFL draft.
Xavier Su'a-Filo, Kyle Van Noy and Keith McGill have to wait until the draft restarts today at 5 p.m. for the second and third rounds.
The pause, however, does allow for some reflection and prediction on where the prospects will go.
Van Noy, the former BYU standout outside linebacker, tops detroitlions.com's wish list at pick No. 45. Says Tim Twentyman: "The Lions still need to find an on-the-line-of-scrimmage SAM linebacker who can play the run, drop in coverage and rush the quarterback."
The sbnation.com blog Pride of Detroit agrees, declaring it is time to get aboard the Van Noy bandwagon.
The Lions may have to trade up to get him because the Atlanta Falcons may get Van Noy first at pick No. 37.
The same SB Nation second-round mock draft that has Van Noy going to the Lions also has former UCLA — originally from Timpview High School — offensive lineman Su'a-Filo going to the trade-happy Cleveland Browns with the No. 35 overall pick.
Espn.com's Redskins blog is also high on Su'a-Filo, saying he would be a great fit for Washington at No. 34 — one pick earlier.
Meanwhile, former Utah cornerback Keith McGill is being projected to be picked by the New Orleans Saints at No. 58 by profootballtalk.com, while the Sacramento Bee's 49ers blog says he may be a target for San Francisco.
Other players that might be selected Friday night include former Utah State cornerback Nevin Lawson and defensive end Trevor Reilly, out of the University of Utah.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead, game to...
- Mike Sorensen: 5 reasons to be excited (or...
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on 'red-alert'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 87
- Things won't get any easier for... 64
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 50
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Utah football pre-game day roundup:... 19