NFL draft, day 2: When will players with Utah ties be selected?
Michael Conroy, AP
Players with Utah ties are still waiting to be selected after the first 32 picks went off the board in last night's first round of the NFL draft.
Xavier Su'a-Filo, Kyle Van Noy and Keith McGill have to wait until the draft restarts today at 5 p.m. for the second and third rounds.
The pause, however, does allow for some reflection and prediction on where the prospects will go.
Van Noy, the former BYU standout outside linebacker, tops detroitlions.com's wish list at pick No. 45. Says Tim Twentyman: "The Lions still need to find an on-the-line-of-scrimmage SAM linebacker who can play the run, drop in coverage and rush the quarterback."
The sbnation.com blog Pride of Detroit agrees, declaring it is time to get aboard the Van Noy bandwagon.
The Lions may have to trade up to get him because the Atlanta Falcons may get Van Noy first at pick No. 37.
The same SB Nation second-round mock draft that has Van Noy going to the Lions also has former UCLA — originally from Timpview High School — offensive lineman Su'a-Filo going to the trade-happy Cleveland Browns with the No. 35 overall pick.
Espn.com's Redskins blog is also high on Su'a-Filo, saying he would be a great fit for Washington at No. 34 — one pick earlier.
Meanwhile, former Utah cornerback Keith McGill is being projected to be picked by the New Orleans Saints at No. 58 by profootballtalk.com, while the Sacramento Bee's 49ers blog says he may be a target for San Francisco.
Other players that might be selected Friday night include former Utah State cornerback Nevin Lawson and defensive end Trevor Reilly, out of the University of Utah.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13