Pine View High School alum Marcus Littlewood hits key grand slam, capping 'miracle' 16-run comeback
Trailing by 16 runs in baseball is often a rarity, especially in professional baseball, but even more rare is a team overcoming a 16-run deficit to win a game.
However, that’s exactly what the Single-A Clinton LumberKings did Wednesday night, and Pine View High School alumnus Marcus Littlewood helped play the role of hero in the comeback.
Littlewood smacked a one-out grand slam in the top of the ninth inning, allowing the LumberKings to tie a game with the Burlington Bees, 17-17. Clinton had trailed 17-1 after five innings, but scored six runs in the sixth inning, five in the eighth and five more in the ninth to overcome the deficit.
The LumberKings went on to score three runs in the 12th inning to win 20-17. Littlewood went 2-for-6 at the plate with four RBIs.
“It was great. It was a great team win,” Littlewood said in an interview with ESPN, who interviewed the St. George native. “I think it will give us momentum going into the rest of the first half (of the season). Down 17-1 — I mean, are you kidding me? It was awesome.”
The LumberKings ended up with 22 hits in the game. Even when the game looked bleak, Littleton told ESPN that the team wasn’t down.
“It was awesome,” he said. “I wasn’t trying to do a whole lot. We had one out and honestly I was trying to stay up the field, trying to get either a base hit or a sac fly — get something airborne. Luckily, I got a pitch that I could drive and didn’t miss it.” pic.twitter.com/IpqkmY0m30
Littlewood, who was twice named Utah's Mr. Baseball while at Pine View, is batting .359 in 20 games for Clinton, with three home runs and 19 RBIs.
COMEBACK OF THE YEAR! Class A Clinton LumberKings overcome 16-run deficit to beat Burlington Bees, 20-17. pic.twitter.com/IpqkmY0m30— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) May 8, 2014
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 116
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 32
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21