Pine View High School alum Marcus Littlewood hits key grand slam, capping 'miracle' 16-run comeback
Trailing by 16 runs in baseball is often a rarity, especially in professional baseball, but even more rare is a team overcoming a 16-run deficit to win a game.
However, that’s exactly what the Single-A Clinton LumberKings did Wednesday night, and Pine View High School alumnus Marcus Littlewood helped play the role of hero in the comeback.
Littlewood smacked a one-out grand slam in the top of the ninth inning, allowing the LumberKings to tie a game with the Burlington Bees, 17-17. Clinton had trailed 17-1 after five innings, but scored six runs in the sixth inning, five in the eighth and five more in the ninth to overcome the deficit.
The LumberKings went on to score three runs in the 12th inning to win 20-17. Littlewood went 2-for-6 at the plate with four RBIs.
“It was great. It was a great team win,” Littlewood said in an interview with ESPN, who interviewed the St. George native. “I think it will give us momentum going into the rest of the first half (of the season). Down 17-1 — I mean, are you kidding me? It was awesome.”
The LumberKings ended up with 22 hits in the game. Even when the game looked bleak, Littleton told ESPN that the team wasn’t down.
“It was awesome,” he said. “I wasn’t trying to do a whole lot. We had one out and honestly I was trying to stay up the field, trying to get either a base hit or a sac fly — get something airborne. Luckily, I got a pitch that I could drive and didn’t miss it.” pic.twitter.com/IpqkmY0m30
Littlewood, who was twice named Utah's Mr. Baseball while at Pine View, is batting .359 in 20 games for Clinton, with three home runs and 19 RBIs.
COMEBACK OF THE YEAR! Class A Clinton LumberKings overcome 16-run deficit to beat Burlington Bees, 20-17. pic.twitter.com/IpqkmY0m30— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) May 8, 2014
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 134
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 84
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 60
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33