UVU golf: three Wolverines set for PGA Minority Championship
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
Three Utah Valley University women's golfers will head to Port St. Lucie, Florida, this weekend for the 28th annual PGA Minority Collegiate Golf Championship. The three-day, 54-hole tournament will run Friday through Sunday at the PGA Golf Club in Port St. Lucie.
Junior Hannah Herman as well as sophomores Kalea Heu and Cassandra Lesa will represent the Wolverines at the tournament. This weekend will mark Heu and Lesa's second straight appearance at the PGA Minority Championship, while Herman will be playing the course for the first time in her career.
In all, over 200 student-athletes representing more than 40 colleges and universities will be competing for a National Championship in six divisions: Women's Team Division, Women's Individual Invitational, Men's Division I, Men's Division II, Men's NAIA and Men's Individual Invitational.
Last year Lesa took fifth in the Women's Individual Division by tallying a 17-over-par 233 with scores of 75, 78 and 80. Heu finished in 11th place after carding a 250 at the tournament (83-83-84).
UVU officially concluded its collegiate season a couple weeks ago at the 2014 WAC Women's Golf Championship that was contested at the Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Arizona. The Wolverines placed sixth out of eight teams at their first-ever appearance at the conference tournament. Herman finished in 36th place at the tournament with a 263 (86-91-86).
Herman is set to tee off on hole number 10 at 8:30 a.m. ET on Friday, while Heu and Lesa are slated to begin at 8:50 and 9:00, respectively.
To be eligible to play in the tournament, contestants must be students of a university or college who have met all the academic requirements of their respective institution governing participation in intercollegiate athletics.
A highlight show of the 2014 PGA Minority Collegiate Golf Championship will air on Wednesday, July 9 at 7:00 p.m. MT, on the Golf Channel. Additional re-air times are set for Tuesday, July 22 at noon, and Wednesday, Aug. 11 at noon. All times are listed in Mountain Time.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC finale,...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early deficit...
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep of CSUB
- UVU golf: Utah Valley remains in third place...
- UVU golf: 3 UVU golfers finish in top 10 at...
- Orem woman makes history by joining Army...
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop twin bill at...
- Orem woman makes history by joining... 17
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep... 0
- UVU golf: Utah Valley remains in third... 0
- UVU golf: 3 UVU golfers finish in top... 0